Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Suggestions on buying a laptop for gaming...
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:58 pm 

Hi,

I want to purchase a new laptop and have been looking around the net and custominzing on different websites. I'm basically looking for a moderate level gaming notebook for around $1500, and has to be able to play lineage 2 (or my gf will kill me). So far, the bet I have found is at www.ibuypower.com. These are the specs, what do you think, or can you suggest someplace better?:
-15.4" screen, 1200x800 LCD
-Mobile AMD 64 3200
-1 gig pc3200 ram
-Mobility 128MB ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 256-bit 3D Video
-60 gig 7200 rpm hd
-DvD/CDrw combo drive
-3D Wave Stereo Sound Onboard
-built in 56k/Lan
-Wireless LAN Wi-Fi 802.11g 54Mbps Mini-PCI Module
-Build-in 3-in-i Media Card Reader/Writer
-Build-in 3x USB 2.0 Ports
-Build-in 1x IEEE-1394 Firewire Port
-MS Windows XP Home Edition

The total for this sytem with shipping comes to $1613, which is about $100 more than I wanted to spend. And it doesnt come with a floppy drive (is this normal?). Would I be sacrifing a big chunk of speed if i downgraded to 512 ram (this would bring the price to $1519? Or would it be better to keep the 1 gig of ram and downgrade the HD to a 60 gig 5400 rpm drive (the price wuld now be $1532)?

So what do you guys think. Any suggestions as to other websites or about my current configuration would be great!
Thanks in advance
Captnwolfy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:05 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Location: Kicking the crap out of the people who lied to me about using Folding@Home and those who declined!!
Quote:
And it doesnt come with a floppy drive (is this normal?).

id say yes. some laptops come w/ a built in floppy, but not all do. all u have to do is add an external floppy drive.

Quote:
(or my gf will kill me).

why!?!? well neways i guess i could say ur lucky to have a gf who makes u play on the computer :D

Quote:
Would I be sacrifing a big chunk of speed if i downgraded to 512 ram (this would bring the price to $1519? Or would it be better to keep the 1 gig of ram and downgrade the HD to a 60 gig 5400 rpm drive (the price wuld now be $1532)?

i think that a game like lineage 2 wouldnt actually need that much RAM, but i may be mistaken,u can check what it says the minimum pc specs r, but also if doom 3 can be played w/ 512 that probably could to. I also think if you wanted u could keep the 60gb 7200 rpm, but personally i would also lower that to save some money. so i think u should lower both things (RAM and HD.) But if u want to spend just a little extra id keep the 1gb RAM and lower the HD...personally that is...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:30 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

That setup looks good, I would try to stick with that.

You can check out some other vendors, you'll want to check out this thread:
http://www.maximumpc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2844

Of those Sager will probably have the best prices:
http://www.sagernotebook.com/pages/web_specials.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:20 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
i only wish my laptop specs read like that, id suck it up and leave it alone, when "you" play quake, hl2, farcry, cod, almost 20gig there.

youll appreciate the faster extras, ive not used the 1.44 that came with my laptop ever. came out for the swcond double size battery, 200 bucks, upgrade to 512, the max, another150, still wont play any game worth spending money on, except civ2, thats the newest game i can play. Intel sucks at graphics

and look at dell, they are rated well, and you can configure most anything, on their site, pretty good prices. warranty means alot, its a portable.

all above is pertinant only if computer is for you, and will be used by her also.

if for her, sonys are nicely intigrated and equiped, i think frys outpost had one under your price on sale, my sony tho enemic, p3-900 , is very reliable, and still on the 2nd install of windows,2 going on 3 years now. :)

Post subject: Re: Suggestions on buying a laptop for gaming...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:00 am 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

>>Any suggestions as to other websites

I would try a few Clevo resellers. Trust me, you'll really appreciate the extended keyboard w/ numeric keypad, especially when gaming. I checked out that website, but it only looks like they're selling Clevo's high end models, take a look over here for some of their midrange models:

http://www.pro-star.com
http://www.sagernotebooks.com

and if you happen to be Canadian:

http://www.eurocom.ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:53 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

I would keep the set up as is and not sacrifice the HD or ram. When I bought a laptop a few years ago I went for cheap, which came with a 20 gig HD. To replace that drive will cost me a lot of money. It's cheaper to spend the cash now for the better drive then to get it home & find out it doesn't meet your needs. You may want to look around for ram though, this is something you may be able to buy at Best Buy (or online) on sale. I found memory for ours under $50 for a 512 stick.

Another thing you may want to think about is buying a system that doesn't have integrated video.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:01 am 

I own a new Inspiron XPS and am very very happy with the performance runniing any recent new game out there right now. Ive been playing CS:S lately and it looks beautiful.

Of corse you want to get the Ati radeon 9800 256mb when your purchasing the laptob for gaming and at least 1 gb of memory.