Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Verizon mobile kit
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:57 pm 

okay, so ive been thinkning about getting this verizon link cable for my cell phone so my laptop can access the net . But, i dont understand how it works, the website doesnt make a ton of sense Do i have to pay extra for it? what are the speeds, what is 3G? Can i use it on my free after 9p.m night minutes, if anyones currently using this celly scheme to log on the net on their laptops, id appreciate the info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:11 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

Last time I checked it out (8 months ago) it was an extra $39.95 a month added to your existing phone service, and if you go over a certain amount of time per month they charge you extra for the minutes ($.73 a minute)

Just steal free WiFi like the rest of us. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:39 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

Verizon does offer 2 different services, the one for $39.99 a month like Flytrap says, but this is a different service. You have to sign up for it & buy a wireless card from what I remember. Then there is the cable that works off of your cell phone. It uses your cell phone minutes, with the nights & weekends being free. You also have to know if your in an area that isn't roaming, or you'll get charged for that.

I picked up the kit last year when it was $80. It's a cable that connects to your cell so that you can use it to connect to the internet while on the road. There's a CD in there that has the configuration for dialing out & also an address book import tool. This was the best part of the package, backing up my address book.

When I installed it last year, the 1st message I got was that the software was old. Every time we booted the laptop, IE opened to order the new software CD. We also had issues where it took over the startup, it became the default connection. This also had to be tweaked.

Once we got everything set, I tried it from the road. The connection is slow (slower than dial up). If you come to a site like this, it will take forever to load. I found it is best used for email, and even that is slow, but if you have to check your email, it is better than nothing. What we used to do was clip the cell to the laptop.

I've seen these cables cheaper at a flea market than what Verizon is now selling them for, so you may want to shop around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:02 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Ive got ATT Wireless with GSM service and recently got one of these cables as Im on the road constantly. The plan works on how much data you use.... I think I pay like 30 bucks a mo for 30 MB of data, and they have a bunch of different plans... unlimited is like 75 i think. Its pretty slow... on par with with 56k or so.

I travel a ton for work and need access to email all the time, which its great for as well as browsing basic web sites. Id say if youre on the road a lot, or places you dont have acces to internet where you need it, def get it.. other wise i wouldnt really bother.

Also, I managed to find a cord that not only allows me to tether my cell to laptop, but it also charges and allows me to transfer ring tones, themes, pics, outlook calendar, contacts and other stuff. I snagged it off ebay for like 30 and it came with a cd with like 100000 ring tones, themes and pics. Id look into it to see if they make a cord like this for your cell. I know mine wasnt an ATT or Sony/Ericsson (my cell brand) brand.. some other I cant remember...