Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: How I Made my IM Portable
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:51 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I'm sure I'm not the first to think of this, but I did decide to do it on my own, rather than Google it. Anyway, if you know a good USB key trick, I know I'm interested to hear it.

My Trick:

I decided I wanted to be able to take my IM with me wherever I went. This is how I'm doing it.

First, I picked a drive letter that is available both on my home and work machines. I picked "T:" for Trillian, although you can pick any drive letter you want. Next, I plugged in the USB key, and then went into drive management, and changed the drive letter to T:

Next, I installed Trillian to the key using the installer. I chose to make a "programs" folder, that will contain any programs I install to it, in order to keep separation between programs, and file storage.

Now, make 2 copies of proxy.ini in the trillian\users\default directory. For neatness, I made a "proxy" sub-dir, and put my copies, named home-proxy.ini and work-proxy.ini in there. The home version has no proxy info, the work version does. It's pretty simple to see how proxy.ini works, and edit it to fit your circumstances.

Next, a .bat file is created.

Code:

@echo off

if "%1" == "-h" goto home
if "%1" == "-w" goto work
if not exist "%1" goto error

:home
copy /y t:\programs\trillian\users\default\proxy\home-proxy.ini t:\programs\trillian\users\default\proxy.ini
trillian.exe
goto end

:work
copy /y t:\programs\trillian\users\default\proxy\work-proxy.ini t:\programs\trillian\users\default\proxy.ini
trillian.exe
goto end

:error
echo "Invalid or no option specified.  Use -h or -w"

:end

Obviously, you'll want to change paths and such to fit your setup.

Finally, change your shortcuts at home and work. Instead of "t:\programs\trillian\trillian.exe", you'll change it "t:\programs\trillian\trillian.bat -w" or "-h", depending on if it's your home or work machine you're on.

Now, when you plug in your key, and start Trillian using the shortcut, it will copy the correct proxy file to proxy.ini, and start Trillian.

Now, I've not yet tried pulling the key out with Trillian running. I'm assuming you probably have to remember to shut it down before pulling the key. Kinda defeats the ability to connect and disconnect it at random.

Now, I just need to figure out how to do this without a DOS window hanging out on the task bar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:25 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Excellent idea and good solution, but I have found something which may prove more useful. There is an IM client which is called Miranda. It is freeware and it is self contained, which means you don't need to install it. All you need to do is unzip its directory to any location, I put it on my MP3/Flash drive. Just open the folder and click the exe and it runs. First you have to set up all your accounts, msn, aim, irc, icq, yahoo, jabber...etc...On the miranda site you can get all sorts of plugins. You must download a yahoo plugin for yahoo to work. This program is 1.99MB with all of its plugins, and it is excellent. Here is the site: http://www.miranda-im.org/ , tell me what you think, and tell me what plugins your going to use. I have the regular ones (msn...) yahoo, a plugin which will suppress user messages when u have a full screen app on (movie, game)...its really cool...[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:44 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

@Lumm
Nice work.. I modified it a bit to make it a bit more sleek.

::EDIT:: found the native Windows command to start a program and close the cmd window immediately after it does... "start" (type start /? for options).. heh... who would thought...

To make it so you dont need to worry about passing parameters (in other words, removing the need to have to run this from a cmd prompt). On your work pc create a file called "work" at the root of your C: drive and on your homepc make the file c:\home (just create a txt file and remove extention).

Then use the following code..
Code:
@echo off

REM ** Check to see whether at home or work, otherwise load custom/default config **

if exist c:\work goto work
if exist c:\home goto home
goto custom

set TRILLDIR=t:\programs\trillian

:home
copy /y $TRILLDIR\users\default\proxy\home-proxy.ini $TRILLDIR\users\default\proxy.ini
start "Trillian" $TRILLDIR\trillian.exe
goto end

:work
copy /y $TRILLDIR\users\default\proxy\work-proxy.ini $TRILLDIR\users\default\proxy.ini
goto end

:custom
copy /y $TRILLDIR\users\default\proxy\custom-proxy.ini $TRILLDIR\users\default\proxy.ini
goto end

:end
exit

So you see here, using different kinda logic it will automatically check to see if youre at work or home if you put these files into place. Lastly, you may also want to have a "custom" section. Since most places dont need proxy setup, just like my home setup, I simply use a copy of my home.ini as my custom.ini and would simply modify it if I ever needed to use this on a pc with proxy settings that dont match my home or work settings.

Hope this helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:55 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

NIce. :)

Thanks for the tips, too. I haven't taken any time messing with it since I posted, but now I'll have to. :)