Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Laptops Crazy From the Heat
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:39 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Just before i Deployed, i purchased a Brand New Compaq Presario (Not one of my Brighter Moments). It had one of those Glossy Screens and a 3.0 Ghz Pentium IV with Hyperthreading. The Video Card was a Radeon Mobile 9600. That's the Shared Memory type. The Computer made it all the way to the FOB (Forward Operating Base). It made it through a Long HOT Dangerous Convoy in a Hummer through Iraq. When I got to the FOB, it worked for another month before it started exhibiting a Strange Problem. Sometimes it wouldn't turn on. The Battery was full and it was even plugged in. Funny thing is that later on that day, It might just decide it was okay and let me turn it on. These "Okay" times started to get fewer, and Fewer until soon, it wouldn't turn on at all. When i went home on leave i had it serviced to fix the problem, and it got lost in the mail. (Still working out that Problem) There were 2 other soldiers that had the same laptop though and both of theirs also developed the same problem. Yesterday someone brought me an HP that started that problem too. Do you think it's some kind of Defect that needs to be Recalled? Maybe it has to do with the Generators that we use for Power. Still If it's the Generators, wouldn't that Blow the Power Supply? The Power Supplys all checked out as good when used on another machine. Anyone got any Ideas? I would sure like to help the Guy with the HP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:09 am 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

Sounds like you got a lemon.

Typically laptops have a thermal overload circuit which trips when the processor reaches a specific temperature which is set by the manufacturer.

When it trips it usually just shuts the laptop off without warning, but if you leave it for a minute or two, it should start right back up again (but you should clean any debris out of the heatsink first).

The problem you're describing actually sounds like there was a problem with the power module inside the laptop. The power module takes the incoming DC voltage and steps it down to 1.5v, 3.3v, and 5v for all the various circuits inside of it. It sounds like yours went south.

There's another post here somewhere of someone who took a laptop to Iraq and his outlived everyone's Compaq's and Gateways. I don't remember what brand it was but it might be worth looking into.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:25 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

MPC just reviewed this laptop in the holiday issue. Its called a Getac M220. Nearly indestructable but it is very pricy at $4000.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:23 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Check if there is a recall on the battery, HP just recalled a ton...