Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Gaming on a Atom Z3740
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:44 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Just for some fun and experimentation, I decided to load up a few games on my ASUS T100. It's a Intel Atom Z3740 based tablet with a dock that you can usually find for $350-$380 depending on the capacity. Now why would I throw a game or two on there if we know based on the specs that they'll probably run horribly? Well, why not?

I threw on Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Half Life 2, Mirror's Edge, and Unreal Tournament 3. They all had to run at 720p. MW2 ran the worst, much to my surprise. Even on the "optimal video settings", the thing ran under 20 FPS all the time. Half Life 2 was smooth in indoor scenes, but stuttered at the plaza after the train station, I also ran it at max detail. Mirror's Edge was choppy as well on the Low graphical preset. Unreal Tournament 3 though ran at about 30FPS on the medium details preset with a some shadow and lighting effects enabled.

Surprisingly though... I don't think any of the games were maxing out the CPU. I left on Task Manager on and switched windows and noticed that the CPU usage on average was about 50%-70%, which is leading me to believe this games are really well optimized or they were just meant to run on really old hardware (Half-Life 2 is probably a no-duh since my Athlon XP 2600+ took it just fine). Obviously, there won't be any gaming if it's using a relatively modern game engine, but for how crappy tier it's supposed to be, it held up surprisingly well.