Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Where do tablets go from here?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:30 am 

My interest was piqued by the samsung tablet article on the front of MPC's blog right now. It got me thinking "Where do we want tablet advancements to go from here?" Seeing as tablets are generally casual browsing and emailing devices what sort of hardware advancements are we looking for? Most tablet screens have really great resolutions. Additionally most apps we buy have a phone counterpart so our tablets don't necessarily need a huge power boost. What do you want to see in next gen tablets?

Post subject: Re: Where do tablets go from here?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:16 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Tablets to me are specialized content consumption devices, as long as they can keep up with the current pace of content, there really isn't much else to go. And honestly, the usefulness of a tablet really depends on how it can connect to the internet and how connected you are.

When I had my Asus Transformer Infinity, it was a pretty cool little gizmo. But it started fading out of use and my Motorola Moto X can do what it can do, only better. Plus it has the connectivity options to do so. So just to keep up with a two year upgrade cycle on everything (I should stop doing that), I bought the Asus Transformer T100, a x86 Windows 8 tablet. It worked out better because it fills the role of what I thought the Infinity would fill: a lightweight, portable tablet/laptop that would be useful for a day-trip or something. Plus it runs all the apps I'm already familiar with on Windows on my desktop.

Actually most of the reason why I went with Windows instead is because Android OS, at least in its stock form, is rather horrible at multitasking like a PC desktop. And the one thing that bugged me about web browsing on an Android is that if the web browser is out of focus (whether another app is opened up or the device is sleeping), it will refresh the page. There are a lot of times I don't want it to do that. Though I did find that Firefox won't do that.

Other than that, since the size limits how much power you can pack, tablets are basically doomed to be content consumers and simple utility devices.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:26 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Tablets are really nice because of their portability. I have been thinking of one, since the poor quality HP laptop has a broken hinge and now the screen cracked near that area... :x But am looking for one as a content creator, such as writing reports in a library or in a workplace. Windows 8 based tablets seem the closest to content creation since its got MS office. But they're pretty expensive too... :( Like a regular laptop expect not as powerful...

That's just what I think, based on what I read and see. Not really too sure though. A useful and inexpensive tablet that is for more than content consumption would be nice.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:29 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Well, "content consumption" is probably a misused term. I usually mean it to apply to multimedia and web surfing. But there's no reason why you can't create that content on the same tablet you use to consume it.

It really just depends on what you want to do, what's capable, and if the OS is friendly to that.