Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Blueprints that i'm never going to use here you go
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:42 pm 

i was working on blueprints for a laptop that carried desktop based components and included a design for a new type of fan, and since i know i'm never going to use them in any way, i decided i'd sign up for a computer forum and post it for all to see, modify,and maybe even implement (if they had lots and lots of barebone component-building ability) i hope the world can at least benefit off of my unusual fan design. Image

Post subject: Re: Blueprints that i'm never going to use here you go
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:58 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Interesting. Not sure I understand the fan design but still cool. Considering that most desktop PSUs are too big, a portable desktop like you propose should use a power brick like in laptops. I'm not sure what kind of power is required for components but with new chips, especially with Nvidia's GTX750 you should get lower power requirements but with enough "oomph".

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 2:35 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

It'd probably be betterto custom build a heatsink for the GPU, since it's design to suck air from the fan and blow it out the front and back, or just the back.

As for power, you could get an SFX or TFX formfactor supply. Those are smaller than the usual ATX by about half.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:42 pm 

phillyj wrote:
Not sure I understand the fan design...

since it seems the fan design is confusing, think of the chain on a chainsaw. this is basically the same things except the links are much smaller and the cutting wedges are replaced with tilted pieces, and when it spins the tilted pieces create airflow.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:00 pm 

LatiosXT wrote:
It'd probably be betterto custom build a heatsink for the GPU, since it's design to suck air from the fan and blow it out the front and back, or just the back.

this is where I got lazy in the drawing process. i meant to draw like a side connector plug for the mo/bo (i'd need to anyway lol) that made the graphics card to sit some degree lower than the lappy's max. height. this should allow air to seep in from the top. also i've never seen a card that exhausted from both sides so adding an exhaust vent to the front in the GPU area wouldn't be a bad idea. that would be a bad idea if you had plans to fit the internal audio on the front of the laptop though. hmm i wonder how long the huge battery would last under let's sayyyyyyyy 400-500 watts constant load? maybe an hour, possibly 2 or more considering the sheer size of it. would be a bad@$$ battery to have in a regular gaming lappy. i bet it would push 10h easy on max load in a standard gaming lappy O_O.