Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Acer Laptop Upgrading Problem
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:53 pm 

A friend in my church recently gave me his old Acer Aspire 3623 WXCI laptop. It had 256 MB of RAM, a 40 GB hard drive, and (as you might expect!) was designed to run Windows XP. Knowing that Neither Windows 7 nor Linux would run on such a setup with any degree of efficiency, I swapped out the 40 GB hard for a 160 GB HDD. I also ordered 2 GB of RAM to replace the measly (by today's standards, natch!) 256 BM that the laptop came with.

The S-DIMMs arrived today, and I set about unscrewing the panel that would give me access to the RAM slots. I quickly discovered, however, that all 5 of the (very TINY!) screws had been coated with Loc-Tite, or something similar. Three of the screw came out without too much difficulty, but the other two simply refused to budge! I used four different Phillips-head screwdrivers on them, and succeeded only in stripping, or nearly stripping, their heads. Is there any way to correct this short of breaking the access panel? Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Acer Laptop Upgrading Problem
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:12 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

You could try to find those tools that will dig into the screw and screw it out or something. I don't know if they make it for smaller sized screws.

Also there are plenty of lightweight Linux distros out there.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:33 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Location: Sittin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line.
You could drill them out.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:04 am 

crwlngkngsnk wrote:
You could drill them out.

Unfortunately, no, *I* can't! I don't have the kind of drill that would be required, nor can I afford to buy one. I'm on SSDI disability. It's looking more and more like I may have to take it to a local computer shop and see what it would cost to have them do it :cry:

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:08 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Whatever the choice OP and you didn't buy a newer version of Windows, look into Linux distros like Lubuntu or Crunchbang.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:37 am 
Team Member
Team Member

LatiosXT wrote:
Whatever the choice OP and you didn't buy a newer version of Windows, look into Linux distros like Lubuntu or Crunchbang.

I second this. Got to http://distrowatch.com/ to find the one for you. I was running Ubuntu on a Pentium 4 with 512mb RAM with no problem.

Some options for you are Puppy Linux or Mint. The hardest part may be configuring Wifi cards since drivers are usually not available for Linux. However, most internet cards have solutions to installing drivers if you google it up.