Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: SSD laptops
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:42 am 

is it me or are SSD laptop offerings lacking? With current SSD prices (like $80 for a 128GB) I wonder why I can't find a $500 or less laptop with i5 and an SSD. Mostly, once you click on 'SSD' the cheapest you see in the usual sites (Dell, Best Buy, Amazon, etc) is like $900. Guess I could buy a $400 i5 laptop, a $80 128GB SSD and ditch the internal HDD, but why isn't this available as an option?

Post subject: Re: SSD laptops
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:01 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Because SSD's are a "high-end" feature and OEMs want to find ways to price gouge you. But in seriousness, even in more expensive builds, if excluding an SSD means getting a better video card, I'd probably take the video card.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:58 am 

LatiosXT wrote:
Because SSD's are a "high-end" feature and OEMs want to find ways to price gouge you. But in seriousness, even in more expensive builds, if excluding an SSD means getting a better video card, I'd probably take the video card.

well depends on what you want the laptop for. I'm thinking more on making the battery last longer (and I suspect SSDs are much easier on the battery than HDDs), durability (less mechanical parts = less things to break) and weight.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:32 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

SSDs and HDDs don't really differ in power consumption, but they do differ in time-to-complete. So depending on what you do most of the time, adding an SSD to increase battery life is a moot point. I haven't ever had reliability come in to question with a hard drive, and I've done some things that you shouldn't do. And HDDs don't add significant weight.

Let me add another reason from a typical consumer standpoint: space. If I was going to buy a laptop as a primary use computer, 128GB of space, regardless of its positives, is paltry compared to 500GB to 1TB that I could get on some other laptops. Sure, you could add an mSATA or PCIe based SSD, but those are ungodly expensive. The only happy medium are SSHDs, but these are only available in higher-end laptops.

And if you're going to ask me to use the cloud for additional space: no cloud storage service will hold what I want to store and Wi-Fi will kill the battery faster (not to mention it's not readily available anywhere).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:00 pm 

LatiosXT wrote:
SSDs and HDDs don't really differ in power consumption, but they do differ in time-to-complete. So depending on what you do most of the time, adding an SSD to increase battery life is a moot point. I haven't ever had reliability come in to question with a hard drive, and I've done some things that you shouldn't do. And HDDs don't add significant weight.

Let me add another reason from a typical consumer standpoint: space. If I was going to buy a laptop as a primary use computer, 128GB of space, regardless of its positives, is paltry compared to 500GB to 1TB that I could get on some other laptops. Sure, you could add an mSATA or PCIe based SSD, but those are ungodly expensive. The only happy medium are SSHDs, but these are only available in higher-end laptops.

And if you're going to ask me to use the cloud for additional space: no cloud storage service will hold what I want to store and Wi-Fi will kill the battery faster (not to mention it's not readily available anywhere).

no I hate cloud storage as much as the next guy. It surprises me that they don't differ in power consumption, I assumed that as a given, yet after reading your response I Googled for it and you're right, so in that case I might as well just use a standard HDD. My current laptop HDD is dying though so I guess I have done more things you shouldn't do than you :) Thanks for the response.