Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Android or Windows Phone?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:35 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

So I'm starting to think about my next cellphone upgrade, and currently have an iphone 5. I don't mind it, but would like to try something different this time around. I've had my Apple fix for now (before I had a Blackberry and hated it, so the Apple a BIG improvement over that...)

So, my question is this : should I go Windows Phone or Android? Is one better/more secure than the other? I'm big on security, but have been using Android devices thus far (no Windows Phone/Windows 8 devices yet).

Also, does Office 365 work on the Windows Phones (or is there an equivalant light version that I can use to read and edit Word/Excel files?

Post subject: Re: Android or Windows Phone?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:35 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

It depends on what ecosystem you want to work in. Each one has it's own way of doing things and getting apps. So go find reviews on the OS themselves and figure out if you could work with that ecosystem or not.

As far as security goes and as far as I know, the security of the phones depends on you. Android requires apps to show which permissions they want in order to run. It's up to you to decide if that app is going to use that permission legitimately or not (for example, what does a clock app want to do with your contacts and text messages?). Windows Phone 8 has a similar security setup. And well, you know iOS so I assume you know how they handle that. But as far as full on malware or hacks, malware does exist for phones but only if you allow it and I haven't seen any one do a hefty exploit like they can with desktop OSes.

For editing Word and Excel, there are plenty of options for Android. Some phones may come with such apps.

Personally I enjoy Android because it's a very open ecosystem. Windows Phones take the iProduct approach to things, but with looser requirements.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:27 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Count me as a vote for android. I really like the flexibility and ability to install whatever I want on the phone, all the way down to custom roms and such.

Also, android is sort of the spec junkies platform of choice. I don't think any other phones have quad core cpu's (other than one 6" lumia), let alone the 1080p screens and 2GB of RAM that the current crop of high end android phones sport.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:20 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

I'm with Latiosxt on this one if you use windows 8 you will find your windows phone experience highly enjoyable because of how interlinked they are. But if you don't or you like alot of popular apps windows phones not the greatest. Now personally I have a Nokia 1020 and a Surface pro 2 and they go together like peanut butter and jelly. But it is your preference. If you should choose one I would suggest tests driving each phone in store first.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:58 pm 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

I'm big on android, specifically for Google's own Nexus line. Primary reason, no more contracts! It's so liberating, knowing you can dump any carrier at any time with minimal hassle (especially if you port your main # to google voice). That being said, I'm also a massive data hog (5gb+ per month), and currently tmobile is the only carrier I've found that offers true unlimited data without throttling speeds, and they've gone the prepaid model, did away with contracts.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:08 pm 

My vote is the Nokia...mainly because I am really into pictures/photography and it is soooo good for that purpose. I also have not had any trouble at all with mine. Other than taking good pictures I'm not a "techie" so I'm not sure about that end of things! :D