Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Help me buy a moderately priced voice recorder
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:51 am 
Klamath
Klamath

I'm looking for a portable voice recorder. I've been using the Sansa m250, but it started corrupting files a year ago but I've been using it anyway because I didn't know what to get. I like that it records small WAV files, and don't mind the compression and low quality. I want a player or dedicated recorder that is decent enough to not corrupt files, but still make small sized recordings.

Someone suggested buying a smart phone, not for use as a phone, but for the recording feature only. No clue which one to get. I don't want to get a phone that comes with a plan or network access; all I need is the recording feature. Maybe an Android or any phone that can download recording apps.

I used to own an H2 Zoom, but those are really not for the environment I'm recording in--I make my podcast recordings in my car or outside where there is a ton of background noise, like windshield wipers scraping and especially air movement from the heat or AC. The H2 Zoom and other professional mic and storage portable bundles are extremely sensitive to wind or even touching the unit, even on its lowest sensitivity setting--it's meant to be put on a mic stand or a boom indoors with a windscreen and a pop filter, not rolling around near the accelerator pedal at 85 miles an hour in a blizzard.

I've found other dedicated voice recorders, but they've gotten poor reviews. I guess I could get an old iPod or a new one, assuming it can run voice recording software; the second-hand ones inevitably are of dicey condition, so it would probably be a new one. Not sure what other players would be good for rough, small recordings that would also be cheap and not start failing like the m250 did.

Post subject: Re: Help me buy a moderately priced voice recorder
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:01 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I guess you can start sifting through these

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:56 am 
Klamath
Klamath

I went with an H1. Bought it for around $82. Mostly went with it because I can play rough with it without worrying about damaging it. Probably ought to buy an accessory kit with a windscreen or at least a plastic sleeve for it so it doesn't get too dinged up.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:07 pm 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

I have a need for a voice recorder quite often too, because well, people in my line of work aren't always honest. I've always just used some free voice recording app on a smartphone. My current phone's non-expandable 16gb is more than enough, I'll never use it up. I can just set it to record with my phone on my belt holster, and people are none the wiser, it'll catch our conversation clearly. Even if you hold your phone in your hand, long as the screen is off, nothing looks out of the ordinary and most folks won't even suspect you of recording. Even better, there are apps that are great for recording your phone calls with people.