Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Gaming Laptop recommendations..?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:19 pm 

Hello Max PC'ers.

I am in the market for a gaming laptop. I need something to bring to the night shifts at work. It doesn't need to be crazy, to be honest all I am really playing right now is Guild Wars 2, but I would like it to be able to play most things for the next few years.

I was looking at the current 14' AlienWare model and was wondering what people think about it. I know they are a bit over priced, but I do like the idea of having Dell backing it. I have had good expiriences with their customer service.

What woud you recommend?

Post subject: Re: Gaming Laptop recommendations..?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:17 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

It depends on what you're looking for in a gaming laptop. Size? Power? What?

My current one, a ASUS G750JW is a really nice laptop, but it's pretty big.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:53 pm 

Hrm, I'm not too picky on all of that. I'd say power is the most important for me, but then again I don't need to go over the top either. I don't really want to have to worry about not being able to run most games over the next 3 years or there abouts.

I'm not concerned with size either way, It will just be coming with me between work and home, I don't think I would bother to bring it travelling.

I don't need a lot of storage space, I like to keep my machines free of culter and running clean. So even something with no HDD, just a single 64 gig SSD would probably be enough for me.

Reliability is the most important thing to me.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:05 pm 

I did check out the ASUS G750JW though, I quite like it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:46 pm 

I read through some reviews on the ASUS G750JW and a few people have said that there are problems with the keyboard missing key strokes and such, did you have any of these issues?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:45 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Ah yes, there's two problems I have with it. That's the first one. The second one is your palm will constantly graze the trackpad and it has no palm detection.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:36 am 

Hello there.

I have the Asus G73JH and the palm of my hand also touches the touch pad while I'm typing. My solution, if you are using a mouse instead of the touchpad, is to go into the touchpad settings and set it to disable the touchpad when a mouse is detected. This works great for me!

When I am not using a mouse, I just need to be a little aware of making sure my palm does not touch the touch pad when I'm typing.

I'm looking at upgrading to either the Asus G750JH when it is released or the Asus G750JX. Both look awesome but I can't seem to find them available with Windows 8 Pro or with Wireless AC. I was also looking at the Alienware M17 or the Origin EON17. They are really nice but super expensive.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:52 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

The only problem I have with the M17 is that it's very heavy and large. So it's more of a "desktop replacement" than a laptop (I can comfortably, more or less, use the G750 in my lap). And usually a lot of the 17 inch high performance laptops tend to do this.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:37 pm 

That makes sense.

Did your ASUS G750JW include a Blu-Ray Drive and Blu-Ray playback software? I'm on the fence about whether I need this or not.

How do you find the built in speakers? Some people have commented that they don't sound very good. I'm not sure that I would care since I would use headphones with it while I'm gaming or listening to music.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:25 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

No. I don't really care about watching Blu-Ray on a computer, since the PS3 and TV do that just fine.

As for the speakers, they sound pretty good for what they are. A little muddy though because the speakers come from near the bottom of the lid when you open them up. And the headphone jack does have an amp, but I don't know what this means other than you get a louder output by default.

That reminds me, I don't know if it's my system or some Windows setting, but the speakers pretty much shut off when it can and it has pretty bad turn-on latency. So IM pings and stuff don't sound off unless I'm listening to music through the thing.

I feel like I'm making the laptop sound worse, but those are the only three problems I have with mine. The laptop is great otherwise. It can play most games I throw at it at full resolution on max detail, it doesn't get too hot or loud to be uncomfortable, and when I'm on the battery doing web surfing, it lasts over 5 hours. I've never seen a gaming laptop do that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:26 pm 

No Worries. Thanks for your views! It might just be a driver update you need or some software interfering with your sound or something like that.

Have you changed any of your hard drives out for a SSD?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:47 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I swapped out the original hard drive for a faster one and put in an SSD with no problems.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:57 pm 

It is kind of disapointing, I like everything about the ASUS, but I can't buy a product knowing there are persistant defects with it. It will drive me crazy if I start missing keystrokes and such.

What do people think about the Alienware machines? Just a trap? I know they are expensive, but do they work well?

Any other recommendations to a laptop with good reviews?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:16 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

The Alienware Mx14 I could recommend, not my first choice, but not something I'd say "ew, stay away from." The Mx18 though, I'd say no to it as it's more of a desktop replacement rather than a laptop... and I avoid desktop replacements.

Your other options out there are MSI and one of the many Clevo rebadgers. At least those targeted to gamers. Otherwise, you should look at media laptops.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:02 am 

Yeah the Alienware mx14 is one one I am looking at. I am actually not a huge fan of the big flashy laptops, but it just seems to be the one with the options that I want. I don't mind the fluff, but it is not what I would be shopping for.

I think I probably would have chose the ASUS if it didn't have the issues that it does, not really a fan of the MSI ones. Alienware may be the way I need to go.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:14 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

You could open up your options if you went for the higher-end "multimedia" laptops. These often come with the best CPUs and midrange GPUs, like the ASUS N750JV or the Samsung Series 7 Chronos. The only problem is these get toasty if you go on extended gaming sessions

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:13 am 

Any thoughts of the Lenovo IdeaPad Y500 series?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:00 am 

I also ran into a company called iBuyPower. Does anyone have any opinions on these guys?

They seem to over really good customization options at a fair price. I can get the 2.4mhz i7, with a GTX 770M and a 120gig solid state drive for about $1300.

Every other site I looked at wouldn't give me the option to ditch the HDD for a SDD straight up, they all use them as cache.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:19 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I heard good things about the Y500. Of course, you could play the waiting game until 4th gen Core processors come out.

iBuyPower, CyberPower, and the like are good companies if you're okay with the fact they usually rebadge Clevo models and they have pretty much non-existent customer support (so I've heard).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:20 am 

Thanks for all the replie, I appreciate it. Now it is just a matter of sitting down, comparing them all and making a choice. I didn't think it would be this hard, lol.