Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Laptops with SSDs?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:34 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

So I though the point of SSDs were that they are small, durable, take less electricity etc etc. So why is it that so few laptops manufacturers have them as an option, and even when they do, its a ridiculous amount of money to add them (On Dell I saw $500 to add 128Gb...seriously?).

I am attempting to put together a work laptop for a consulting gig, and am looking at putting in a 256gb SSD. I need something fast and a system with a lot of memory. Would it be easier to find a normal laptop and just replace the SSD myself? Or are there other more viable solutions?

Post subject: Re: Laptops with SSDs?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:59 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Because SSDs are expensive, and because OEMs can charge out the ass for whatever upgrades they want. Look at Apple, they charge $200 for a 4GB upgrade back in 2011 when 4GB of RAM was $50.

It's cheaper just to get your own SSD and put it in. That's what I did with my laptop. You can also buy a USB 3.0 external enclosure and since it runs at near native performance, you can use it to run programs or other things.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:39 am 
Klamath
Klamath

That makes sense. I guess when I buy the laptop I will make sure to get the windows install disk that comes along with it :)

I don't like all the bloatware and crap they put on laptops anyway lol.

Sounds like it would be best to get a decent model with a good cpu and graphics and upgrade the memory and SSD yourself?

Are there any particularly good laptops you can recommend? I need something solid, reliable, and stable for sure :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:55 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Unfortunately I don't keep up with laptops. Everyone comes out with new models every year and I don't bother with knowing who's coming out with what unless I'm looking for a laptop.

The basic idea though is to narrow down a price range. Then figure out the other desired specs that you want from there.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:52 am 

LatiosXT wrote:
Unfortunately I don't keep up with laptops. Everyone comes out with new models every year and I don't bother with knowing who's coming out with what unless I'm looking for a laptop.

The basic idea though is to narrow down a price range. Then figure out the other desired specs that you want from there.

I have to agree. It's more on the price and the specs. Everytime a new one comes out, the price of the rest drops.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:50 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I put a solid state in both my sony laptop and samsung ultrabook. I went with a 120GB Intel with a fresh copy of Windows 7 on the laptop and a Toshiba 256GB SSD in the Ultrabook running windows 8. After running SSD I would not go back to conventional. I did not notice much of a difference battery wise switching between the two.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:15 pm 

Just got a Lenovo Thinkpad X1, has better specs with 256GB SSD that enhanced its speed much better. Have a look at new outcomes that have better SSD+HDD combo.