Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Bluetooth Battery consumption
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:51 pm 

Does anyone know how much power bluetooth uses? Lets use the Axim X50 for example.

How long could the X50 Stay on normally?
How long could it stay one with bluetooth activated?

Also, does anyone know how quickly bluetooth would drain the battery if I was using a bluetooth keyboard?

I can't find a single review that states bluetooth usage alone, they keep pairing it up with wifi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:57 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

No one can give you exact figures unless they have an x50 and are willing to take the time which would probably involve long periods of time of doing nothing but staring at a PDA, and power settings, volume, brigthenss, etc, will still come into play. Thats why so many review sites just talk about how many hours they got of "normal" use, which includes playing a game or two, watching a video, listening to music and doing some surfing, because it's a real boring pain in the ass otherwise, and it's also just not typical of pda usage either in the abstract or for the individual to just sit there for hours doing nothing but surfing the web over bluetooth. It's just not very illustrative. But one of bluetooths main attractions is a limited power draw. It draws MUCH less juice than wifi. The x50 has an 1100 ma battery which is completely average in capacity, but it does have a fast proc that soaks up juice, though it can be underclocked for power saving. The site i go to said

Quote:
battery life is average for a Pocket PC, giving about 3 hours and 15 minutes of actual use with the Auto power setting in average conditions consisting of PIM use, working with MS Office documents, surfing the web for an hour using WiFi, gaming for 45 minutes and playing a few short videos.

In practice, your battery life will probably depend a lot more on what you are doing while bluetooth is on and how many other bells and whistles you have going rather than bluetooth itself, especially with a keyboard which isn't going to need to send large amounts of data like a BT internet connection would. you can get a 2200ma battery if your running out of juice too fast, but it will increase the size of the pda, so buy your case accordingly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:04 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

Just to show how cpu use has such an impact, the same site also said the battery ran down to 48% after 1hour 20 mintues of video. THat's a tremendous draw compared to the above battery life. If all your doing is typing text documents you could expect battery life to be quite long. I rarely turn my bluetooth off on my HP4155, and I don't get the low battery warning until about the 3rd or 4th day, and might even be able to make it to day 5 before the critical battery warning if i'm just playing chess and stuff.