Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Yes, I know it's a cliche, but I need Purchasing Advice
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:40 am 

Hi gang,

I'd want to buy me a new laptop for school.
I would llike the biggest possible screen with the best possible battery life.
It has to be widescreen.
Integrated Gigabit Lan.
The only games I'd be playing would be like San Andreas, Sims 2 , Pirates etc..
I'm on a budget of around $1,500 ~ $1800 max.
Which do you recommend?

Right now, the Dell Inspiron 9300 is pulling ahead, but the fact that it has had problems with the high-res screen, and that it has no integrated gigabit lan, are making me hesitate...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:53 am 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

AMD Athlon 64
Radeon 9700 Mobility
Gigabit Ethernet
17" WSXGA+

http://www.pro-star.com/index.cfm?mainp ... model=4764

http://www.sagernotebook.com/pages/note ... tType=4750

Intel Pentium M
Radeon x700 Mobility
Gigabit Ethernet
15" SXGA+

http://www.pro-star.com/index.cfm?mainp ... model=4062

http://www.sagernotebook.com/pages/note ... tType=4881

Intel Pentium 4
Radeon 9700
Gigabit Ethernet
17" WXGA or WSXGA+

http://www.pro-star.com/index.cfm?mainp ... model=4754

http://www.sagernotebook.com/pages/note ... tType=4791

Post subject: Re: Yes, I know it's a cliche, but I need Purchasing Advice
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:12 pm 

Kaze wrote:
Right now, the Dell Inspiron 9300 is pulling ahead, but the fact that it has had problems with the high-res screen, and that it has no integrated gigabit lan, are making me hesitate...

I have the XPS2, which has the same screen as the 9300 WUXGA, and I love it. Some people complain about sparkles, but I don't see them as an issue. I have two friends, one with the 9300 and the other with the XPS2, who also don't have an issue with the WUXGA screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:52 pm 

Word of advice from experience...

If you get a Inspiron you will never get new replacement parts if anything were to fail during your extended warranty. Everything will be refurbished. Dell does not carry new replacement parts after the origional warranty has expired.

I had an Inspiron back when I started school a few years ago, and they've had to replace the motherboard 5 times because of bad refurbished parts. It's no longer under extended warranty and the mobo's charging circuit has gone bad so now I can't use it without the power cord plugged in. Woot! New obsolete desktop computer!!!

GET A LATITUTE!!!! Dell carries BRAND NEW replacement parts for their latitude series laptops for several years. I can't remember how long, I know it's at least as long as the longest warranty they carry. Latitudes more expensive, but it's worth every penny.

It sucks when your mobo fails and you have a paper due the next day! Even if you saved the file, you can't get the file off your laptop because the mobo's dead!

Since the laptop is for school, you probably can qualify for the educational discount!

Educational latitude D810's (ones with widescreen) start around $1643 with an educational discount. Trust me, even without the widescreen, don't get an Inspiron, it will only get you into more trouble down the road. I hate to say it, but I'd rather buy an Apple Powerbook than get a Dell Inspiron.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:33 pm 

somewhat true, the inspirons share a lot of the components with the latitude line. i've upgraded my old inspiron 8000 with parts that pulled from off lease latitudes (video card, optical drives, batteries) , each inspiron notebook has a comparable latitude model.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:22 pm 
Team Dino
Team Dino

I would not go Dell if I was you, heard a lot of bad things about Dell. Plus they make ugly computers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:05 am 

dakota g33k wrote:
somewhat true, the inspirons share a lot of the components with the latitude line. i've upgraded my old inspiron 8000 with parts that pulled from off lease latitudes (video card, optical drives, batteries) , each inspiron notebook has a comparable latitude model.

LOL, I hope you didn't violate your lease terms :)

l'm not sure what you are refferring to when you say "somewhat true". Everything I said was completely true. Have you ever worked at Dell? My bro works in their business sales department.

It's true that you can exchange parts, on some of the older models. I never said you couldn't do that. but if you buy an Inspiron you will NOT get NEW replacement parts FROM DELL, you will get REFURBISHED replacement parts. If you don't believe me, call Dell business or educational sales and ask.

As everyone knows, refurbished parts are never as good as new parts. Hence the whole story about my laptop's motherboard. I'm just giving "buyer beware " advice so kaze doesn't run into the same probs I did.

Last edited by Righteous Death on Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:08 am 

If you have enough problems and your laptop is still under warranty, they will replace it with a brand-new laptop if you yell at the enough. Furthermore, bad laptops are the exception and not the rule with Dell, so you probably have nothing to worry about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:27 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:39 am 

thefultonhow wrote:
If you have enough problems and your laptop is still under warranty, they will replace it with a brand-new laptop if you yell at the enough. Furthermore, bad laptops are the exception and not the rule with Dell, so you probably have nothing to worry about.

If you call a refurbished laptop "new" then yes, they will.

You're right about the overall quality of their laptops. In general they do last a while before you need to fix them. But what you're missing is that after about a year they stop carrying new, non-refurbished, parts for the Inspiron series laptops and, therefore, will only have refurbished parts in stock. Therefore, any laptop you receive as a replacement after that initial year or so will be refurbished.

This information comes straight from Dell. All I'm trying to say is that the Latitude series are professional series laptops. And, as such, are designed from the ground-up to be better than the Inspirons. They are more durable and they keep new parts in stock for years after they product has been released. The reason they do this is so they can provide multiple tiers of laptops for consumers. Inspirons are low-end (IE el cheapo), Latitude are Mid to high-end, and the Precision Mobile workstations are the ultimate and carry certifications to prove that they comply with industry standards.

A couple of years ago, my parents purchased an Inspiron laptop that shipped with a bad BIOS version that prevented the cpu fan from activating correctly. The processor would overheat and the computer would constantly freeze. The same year, the company I worked at ordered 100+ latitude laptops (different orders and shipments) and none of them had any problems when they arrived. The fix for the faulty BIOS was simple, but it gives you an inseight on the quality contol they have over the Inspiron series versus the Latitude.

If you do manage to get your hands on a replacement "brand new" non-refurbished Inspiron, sent to you from Dell, AFTER they stopped carrying new parts for it, then it is most likely a different model than the one you purchased. Therefore, if the new laptop is given to you under your previous warranty, then it's a breach of your warranty contract since your warranty only covers the parts in the laptop you purchased.

Lol, this comes form 5+ years of previous experience working with and supporting various laptops from various different manufacturers. I'm just trying to provide insight into Dell's madness so that others can make informed decisions. Like I said before, if you doubt me, just call Dell and ask them. If I'm wrong I'll eat crow and admit it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:15 am 

Righteous Death wrote:
If you call a refurbished laptop "new" then yes, they will.

You may be right that this happens after the one-year mark, but I bought a defective (refurbished) Inspiron XPS2 and they replaced it with a new laptop, not a refurbished one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:08 pm 

and while you're all arguing about dell...I found this one for my girlfriend and I think its one of the best deals out there for the money. I might even buy one myself and upgrade the video card in a year thanks to Nvidia's new MXM thingy.

http://www.cyberpowersystem.com/highend ... 00.asp?v=d

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:41 pm 

I have an old Dell C640- payed $350 for it on ebay:
P4 1.8 ghz
Radeon 7500 32mb
512mb PC2700

It runs San Andreas fine at 1024*768 and low detail. It's also slim and light as hell.