Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Notebook OCing
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:33 pm 

I plan on getting a Sager 7620 with:

Intel 640 proc at 3.2GHz 800FSB
Either an X800 or 6800...haven't decided-don't know a real diff between the 2 moible ones.
1GB of RAM-unsure of brand...trusting Sager

I'm basically planning on having this notebook for about 4 years...through college. I want to know what things I have to look out for when OCing a notebook, what precautions to take and how different my limits are on a notebook. I've never even owned a notebook before. So like, how do I take care of cooling on a notebook? I'm assuming that I'll need an aftermarket thermal solution if I OC...so what exists for notebooks? I know that these ?'s are quite broad, but I know nothing on notebook OCing...so just feel free to bombard me with knowledge :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:49 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

I don't reocmmend overclocking a notebook because there is no real way to install aftermarket cooling. The cases are designed to run at the thermals the notebook will run at, and aren't designed to go much higher. A friend of mine just about destroyed his notebook overclocking it. It got hot enough where he burned his hand when he touched it.

As for video card's, no real difference, just which company you prefer more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:00 pm 

nVidia it is...but there should still be some reasonable leeway in notebook OCing...Like the memory and vid card should be somewhat more stable OCers than the proc...maybe? I dunno.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:22 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I wanted to try o/cing my Toshiba to help boost the folding on the lappy, but there was too many negative obstacles in o/c a notebook.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:44 am 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

APenguin wrote:
nVidia it is...but there should still be some reasonable leeway in notebook OCing...Like the memory and vid card should be somewhat more stable OCers than the proc...maybe? I dunno.

The videochips usually overclock decently. What you need to do is find out what the standard speed of the chip is, because some notebook resellers will actually underclock them.

For example, the Rage 128 Mobility in my Pro-Star shipped at 105Mhz, however a friend of mine from school had the same chip in his IBM Thinkpad and it shipped at 95Mhz.

If you look up the specifications, it turned out that IBM had underclocked my friend's videochip. So it's a good idea to do a little looking into on all the parts that make up your laptop before doing any experiementation with the clock speeds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:22 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

you can overclock notebook GPUs, just be VERY VERY CAREFUL AND MOVE EVERYTHING IN VERY SMALL INCREMENTS. The second you see any type of artifacting, trhottle it back. and never go that high again. There's no real direct aftermarket cooling, but some utilities may let you control the fans so they are always at max. There are also "notebook coolers" which are essentially just flat thing with fans on them that you put your notebook on. I've never used them, but the idea is the fans blow a lot more cool air on the underside of the notebook than they would be getting if they were just on a regular flat surface. Supposedly this can make a difference of a few degrees, but the effect is not dramatic.

Warning: If you OC your laptop, and it breaks, your warranty will be void if they find out you were overclocking. Of course, they might have a pretty hard time telling if send them a laptop with a wiped harddrive.

Both those gpu's are neck and neck in performance. Any performance differenc between them is not statistically significant, imho. I tend to like Radeon's for latop cards though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:24 pm 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

oc it in a walkin freezer

Post subject: Re: Notebook OCing
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:23 am 
Team Member
Team Member

APenguin wrote:
I plan on getting a Sager 7620 with:

Intel 640 proc at 3.2GHz 800FSB
Either an X800 or 6800...haven't decided-don't know a real diff between the 2 moible ones.
1GB of RAM-unsure of brand...trusting Sager

I'm basically planning on having this notebook for about 4 years...through college. I want to know what things I have to look out for when OCing a notebook, what precautions to take and how different my limits are on a notebook. I've never even owned a notebook before. So like, how do I take care of cooling on a notebook? I'm assuming that I'll need an aftermarket thermal solution if I OC...so what exists for notebooks? I know that these ?'s are quite broad, but I know nothing on notebook OCing...so just feel free to bombard me with knowledge :)

ahhh if you planning on o/c ing a prescott laptop, you should think again lol. If you want to overclock the cpu, get a dothan cpu, it will most likely be faster than that 3.2 in gaming.

As for deciding bwt the 6800 and x800, you can compare these 2. Although the cpus aint the same, it was the closest comaparison i could find.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2437&p=2
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2356&p=1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:42 am 

Several things (which you'll probably ignore): I wouldn't reccomend buying a computer from a relatively small company, especially one whose website I could not find. If you want looks from your notebook, get a Sony. If you want performance from your notebook, get a Dell or an Alienware. If you want a balance, which really doesn't have much of either looks or performance, get a Toshiba, or an Acer. But it's your comp; I won't try to change your mind.

Anyway, as everyone else has said about overclocking on your laptop, just don't do it. A laptop with a desktop CPU running at normal speeds gets quite hot, hot enough to burn your hands if you touch it, especially on its bottom. If you want to use it on your lap, forget about it. Unless you're in the Arctic. My Inspiron 600m, which is designed to be mobile, and has a Pentium M, gets too hot to be comfortable on my lap after a couple hours. It is my primary computer, and I use it on my lap, on top of the Guinnes World Records 2003 book, which is about an inch thick. This is both to ensure there is enough breathing room for the bottom-inlet fan as well as to protect my legs. Anyway, forget about overclocking. Even if you get one of those cooling mats (not a bad idea at all) it will be bearable on your lap, but still don't OC.

About RAM and GPU - there's no point getting more than 1GB RAM, brand doesn't matter much these days, and, unless you have an FSB over the notebook-standard 400Mhz or 533Mhz, there's no point getting a GPU with more than 128MB of RAM. Just some irrelevant wisdom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:31 pm 

thefirstdude02 wrote:
Several things (which you'll probably ignore): I wouldn't reccomend buying a computer from a relatively small company, especially one whose website I could not find.

If you can't find their website (which ironically, must be in over ten different threads on this board, probably more), your advice will most likely reflect your technical expertise.

As for your recommendation of Alienware over Sager, Sager has been around a lot longer then a more recent startup such as Alienware (not to mention Alienware only recently began reselling Clevo laptops in the past few years, since about the Clevo 8880). Alienware simply jumped on the boat about 3 years ago so to speak.

So if you can't find their website, and you think the smaller 9 year old company (Alienware) would have more experience and better support then the larger 20 year old company (Sager), yeah, we are going to ignore your advice.