All times are UTC - 8 hours

IS THE PALMONE LIFEDRIVE WORTH $500?
Poll ended at Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:21 pm
yes 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
no 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
with a bigger hard drive, yes 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
forget the figgin thing...waste of money 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4
 Post subject: portable media player - which is best?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:21 pm 

predicament -
got money for graduation and want to spend on a portable media player...but which? the highest i want to go is $650...i would like it to be able to connect to a GPS locator so i can find my way around in the city i am moving to for college. at least 20GB harddrive. so that takes the palmone LifeDrive out of the equation...anybody got an idea? i want good video, long battery life, and easy connectivity with XP home SP2...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:24 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

::bump::

Personally, I don't think the device exists.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:30 am 

I just read about it on the Palm site, it sound awesome. But it'll never live up to the standard I'm used to getting from my Sony Vaio U50 (http://www.dynamism.com/u71). But, of course, there's that small, insignificant fact that it costs $1400 less.

Post subject: Re: portable media player - which is best?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:56 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

welderman05 wrote:
predicament -
got money for graduation and want to spend on a portable media player...but which? the highest i want to go is $650...i would like it to be able to connect to a GPS locator so i can find my way around in the city i am moving to for college. at least 20GB harddrive. so that takes the palmone LifeDrive out of the equation...anybody got an idea? i want good video, long battery life, and easy connectivity with XP home SP2...

A portable media player with at least 20gb of storage that can hook up to a GPS? doesn't exist. PDA's are easy to GPS-ify through bluetooth or CF (Lifedrive has bluetooth and 802.11, which is nice), but don't have HD's - the Lifedrive uses a microdrive I believe, which can probably be upgraded as bigger microdrives come out. You can grab additional SD media for the Lifedrive to keep more files on. If you really want 20gb of storage, you have to look at mp3/mulitmedia players rather than PDA's, none of which have the capacity for GPS or wireless connectivity or all the other nice features of a PDA, plus there's a hard drive to break. Seems to me that a good PDA would be all-around more usefull to the college bound, and trhe Lifedrive seems like a pretty competitive product. Bout time we had one from palm, especially with 802.11 and bluetooth built in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:06 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

thefirstdude02 wrote:
I just read about it on the Palm site, it sound awesome. But it'll never live up to the standard I'm used to getting from my Sony Vaio U50 (http://www.dynamism.com/u71). But, of course, there's that small, insignificant fact that it costs $1400 less.

Holy cow, havn't seen that before. Impressive. Runs full blown windows XP, too. A bit too big and heavy, and battery life too short too fill in for a PDA, plus you'd have startup times instead of the intant on of a PDA or media player, but this is really pushing the Thin and LIght category into PDA/mediaplayer territory. You coul dget the enhance battery for longer life, but I'm sure weight and size would go up as well. I guess I have to take back the "doesn;t exist" part of my previous post, and say "very expensive, bigger and short battery life" instead. Still, 2.5 hours is very impressive for those stats.