Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Best free firewall? Firewall You Dislike?
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 9:52 pm 

Hi all, i noticed that wunderbar in a reply of his stated he hates ZoneAlarm, and since i have it installed on my Gateway 7426GX, was wondering what other firewalls are viable options? Which ones do you dislike and why? Any advice would be appreciated and thank you in advance.

P.S. I would not mind paying for one, just would like to know which one y'all recommend. Cheers. (wunderbar if you read this, can you please post as to WHY you don't like ZA?)

Post subject: Re: Best free firewall? Firewall You Dislike?
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 10:03 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Ruben wrote:
Hi all, i noticed that wunderbar in a reply of his stated he hates ZoneAlarm, and since i have it installed on my Gateway 7426GX, was wondering what other firewalls are viable options? Which ones do you dislike and why? Any advice would be appreciated and thank you in advance.

P.S. I would not mind paying for one, just would like to know which one y'all recommend. Cheers. (wunderbar if you read this, can you please post as to WHY you don't like ZA?)

My least favorite firewall is any software based firewall. I would much rather be behind a hardware based firewall if possible. At home I am behind a hardware firewall built into a Linksys Wireless Router/Switch. At work I am on the college's network so I don't have to worry about it. On my laptop I just have Windows Firewall enabled until I decide to stop being lazy and actually install a software based firewall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 10:59 pm 

I too have a wireless router on my home network, a D-Link Dl514, do you know if this one has a hardware based firewall? Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 6:53 am 
Team Member
Team Member

The least offensive, least obtrusive, most functional software-based firewall comes with Windows XP SP2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:44 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Thug Esquire wrote:
The least offensive, least obtrusive, most functional software-based firewall comes with Windows XP SP2.

You forgot "Least Effective" :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:07 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Ok, so waht is the most effective software firewall? Including ones you pay for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:24 am 

If you have an extra PC laying around Smoothwall is the way to go http://www.smoothwall.org/
If you don't have an extra PC and want a hardware solution then I use a CISCO 831 series firewall. Pretty cheap for what you get and if you don't mind learning IOS language then you can make it do whatever you want.

Good is a very subjective word. You're firewall is as good as your ability and dedication to reading your syslogs and then tweaking your firewall to omit/allow whatever traffic you want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:59 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Again, what is the most EFFECTIVE SOFTWARE firewall?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:23 am 

The most effective software firewall is PC-Cillin (read the reviews in any magazine including this one). You do sacrifice a good deal of usability, and it is not compatible with many Linksys Wireless Routers. I couldn't call it unobtrusive either.

The best bet is the second-most-effective, second-least-obtrusive, second-most-noob-friendly software firewall Zone Labs' Internet Security. Sure it costs $60, but we got ours for free from Buy.com (two mail-in rebates). And no, the rebates were real. We got the checks within two weeks. After the initial configuration, which, depending on your network setup, may take a while to get everything to work (half an hour at most, though), it just sits there. After a few days it'll even stop asking you about program permissions if you set it to ask you, which is a good diea because chances are otherwise it'll block programs you want to connect to the Internet.

In case you're wondering, the least obtrusive, most noob-friendly software firewall is McAffee's Internet Security, which, when it comes to actually protecting your computer, is worse than the one Microsoft included in SP2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:01 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

I still think the free Zone Alarm is the best for everyday use. It's pretty good with simplicity, access permissions and when you're not using the computer, you have the option of "locking" the connection so nothing gets through.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:57 am 

Ain't anything better than Sygate. Monitors everything.
Sygate Personal Firewall 5.6 0wnz Zone Alarm and the rest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:14 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

I like any of the following:

Zone Alarm
Sygate Personal Firewall
Tiny Firewall
Windows Firewall (SP2)

More times than not, I end up using Zone Alarm (used in conjunciton with a Linksys BEFSR41 router). It does the job and configuration is simple.