Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Nvidia Optimus Woes....
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:58 am 

I own a dell XPS17 2011 series (yes, my first problem here is owning a dell) with a Nvidia 555M 3GB series with optimus technology. Now then...

When a program is running fullscreen, it automatically switches to my nvidia, and closing the program shuts down the GPU and uses the onboard Intel to preserve power. Now then, when i return to desktop, with not a whole lot running in the backgorund (drivers, nvidia tool, antivirus, and my turbo-boost monitor) the fan for the GPU shuts off. Sounds normal? Thats what Dell told me. Too bad my comp still runs between 60-70C IDLE! The second I open a game or a full screen program, the computer goes back to the nvidia and the fan cranks on, dropping temps back to reasonable 45-55C (while playing a game)

Why isn't the fan passively cooling my computer when my graphics card is not in use? There are times when i left my computer on overnight to upload something to my brother, and my CPUID starts beeping, letting me know that my computer is about to force shutdown due to heat (highest i've seen it is 79C, a single degree before the BIOS shuts my rig down to prevent damage).

This is my first computer with Optimus technology, and i REALLY hate it. Anyway to override it so that my Nvidia is the only card in use at all times? Considering the fan refuses to run otherwise, and i don't want to leave programs open in the background to "trick" it into staying on, using valuable processes.

Exact specifications:
Dell XPS17s
Core i7 2nd gen 2.8 (Turbo to 3.5)
8GB DDR3 dual channel mode
2x 750GB segate 7,200RPM drives
Blu-Ray RW, DVD+- COMBO drive
and... of course Nvidia 555M 3G/Intel 3000 series