Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Dell Inspiron 6000 Widescreen Question? Help plz...
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 6:22 am 

I recently purchased a brand new Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop, and I LOVE IT. Perfect size, not to big or small, great speed, good battery life, nice frontal controls, etc...you get the picture...

**I do have one dead pixel, but they are going to replace my screen - no hassles, so I appreciate that**

Here is my question:

The widescreen is GREAT, and I wouldn't tade it for another screen, but one thing bothers me...on certain web pages, and if you could see it you would know what I'm talking about...but the images (some) come up fuzzy/pixelated because they are being stretched I guess. Is there any way to resolve this? Any settings in IE that you can set so it doesn't resize images?

Thanks for any help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 8:25 am 
Team Dino
Team Dino

Under IE, you can go to Tools --> Internet Options... --> Advanced

Under Multimedia you can uncheck Enable Automatic Image Resizing.

If that doesn't take care of it, you might have your resolution set too low, and you should try changing it to the recommended resolution.

n0b0dykn0ws

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 1:04 pm 

I already tried that option under IE and it didn't fix anything. Also, the screen resolution is set to max. I tried changing it to some other resolutions any nothing. Nothing wrong with the comp, just happens on some web pages.

Doesn't happen with Firefox through since its not stretching the images. I don't know why that option under the tools menu in IE didn't do anything. Will try it again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 1:16 pm 

Any other thoughts?

I need IE for certain websites but they looks all distorted because of the pixelated images. It isn't the computer or monitor because Firefox is fine.

I have also noticed, some background images I use for Windows also look distorted/pixelated...driving me nuts...

Starting to wish I hadn't gotten the widescreen...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 1:30 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

Are you sure that you're running your LCD at it's native resolution?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 8:40 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

fyi:

for the Inspiron 6000 these are the native resolutions:

15.4 inch WXGA = 1280 x 800 pixels
15.4 inch Ultra Sharp WSXGA = 1680 x 1050 pixels
15.4 inch Ultra Sharp WUXGA = 1920 x 1200 pixels

as what flytrap7 said, make sure you're running your LCD at its native resolution.

-misterLOBY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:38 pm 

misterLOBY wrote:
fyi:

as what flytrap7 said, make sure you're running your LCD at its native resolution.

-misterLOBY

i have this laptop also. what is the likely hood of being able to upgrade the lcd? i have the wxga 1280x800, and it really isn't enough for me, but this laptop was given as a gift and i wasn't going to complain.

also, what about the graphics card (mine is the ati mobility x300)? can these be swapped out?

thanx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:54 am 

A Murder of Crows wrote:
misterLOBY wrote:
fyi:

-misterLOBY

i have this laptop also. what is the likely hood of being able to upgrade the lcd? i have the wxga 1280x800, and it really isn't enough for me, but this laptop was given as a gift and i wasn't going to complain.

also, what about the graphics card (mine is the ati mobility x300)? can these be swapped out?

thanx

As far as I know, you're SOL. Laptop screens can only be replaced at the factory, and for the prices they charge, you are better off selling it and buying another one.
And videocard swaps is unlikely too, unless you have a dell xps2 or an alienware top-of-the-line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:50 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

ckeck wrote:
Any other thoughts?

I need IE for certain websites but they looks all distorted because of the pixelated images. It isn't the computer or monitor because Firefox is fine.

I have also noticed, some background images I use for Windows also look distorted/pixelated...driving me nuts...

Get netscape 8. With exactly 2 mouse clicks, you can change the engine from the Gekko engine(which powers firefox) to the IE 6 engine. You can switch as often as you like, it just reloads the page, and Netscape will remember the settings for each web page. so if You are on this site, and view it with Gekko, and then go to www.internet.com and you have that set to the IE engine, it'll switch over without you even needing to do anything. Give that a try and see if that fixes your problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:31 am 

I had the same issue. You can should be able to correct the problem by switching the displays dpi setting in the display properties. Yours is probably set to above 96 dpi which makes everything much easier to read. If you set it back to 96, the distortion goes away but everything gets much smaller.

Go to the display properties tab. Click on advanced then change the font dpi size.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:11 am 

It's actually possible, and not very difficult, to replace both the display and the graphics card on all the Dell laptops I know of. To replace the graphics card you're going to have to take off the screen, so you might as well do that at the same time. Assuming you can find parts that fit, replacing the display couldn't be much easier (at least on my 600m). All you have to do is remove the panel above the keyboard, take off the keyboard, unplug the display (oh yeah, there's one screw you have to undo), plug in the new one, put the keyboard back, put the panel back, and voila. The graphics card is slightly more problematic. Get to the stage where you had the display disconnected. Turn it over, undo all the screws (including those under the battery), then turn it back, and undo all the screws you see there. Then remove the panel with the touchpad in it (it goes around three of the sides of the keyboard) and undo all the screws you can see. Remove the bottom panel and see if you can identify the graphics card; it should be somewhere close to the CPU as that's where the fan is. Take it out and replace. Be careful not to lose any screws.

P.S.: These directions will most probably be different when dealing with a different laptop. I therefore reccomend asking someone who has done this with a 6000 before trying it yourself. In other words, I accept no liability for any injury, potentially fatal, sustained by you or your laptop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:15 am 

ckeck wrote:
Any other thoughts?

Try disabling "smart image dithering" in IE's advanced options.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:44 am 

i have the inspiron 6000 also just coming acrost this forum i am running the wxga with ati x300 using the aol 6 month i havent seen any problems with images