Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Which mobile CPU has more oomph?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:19 pm 

a choice between a mobile athlon64 2800+ or a new Pentium M 1.8ghz w/2MB cache? which do u think has more oomph in general usage, multimedia and gaming? thx for any info...=)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:27 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

Personally, I'd take the Athlon64 over the Pentium-M.

I don't think 32-bit processors are going to have much of a future other then usage in low end budget systems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:32 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I think the Pentium-M has a longer run-time though, and I'll take a 32-bit CPU that I can use longer than a 64-bit CPU that dies in an hour or two.

My laptop with a 1.5GHz P-M (with Wi-Fi on) can last more than 4 hours while browsing the web, or I can play Dungeon Siege for about 2 hours.

I am sold...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:25 pm 
Astro lube 2 the MAX!
Astro lube 2 the MAX!

deject - I am pretty sure he's going to use these mobile chips in a desktop system.

Athlon solution, I would definitely pick.

BUT if he is using this for his laptop if he has it, then yes, Pentium-M is the better choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:41 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

wiseoracle wrote:
deject - I am pretty sure he's going to use these mobile chips in a desktop system.

Athlon solution, I would definitely pick.

BUT if he is using this for his laptop if he has it, then yes, Pentium-M is the better choice.

Very true. I just think that if you get a laptop, you might as well be able to use it unplugged for more than an hour.

That said, I haven't seen many numbers on the Mobile A-64's battery life, so AMD might have gotten it right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:58 am 

deject wrote:
Very true. I just think that if you get a laptop, you might as well be able to use it unplugged for more than an hour.

A common misconception.

I can tell you from actual experience that my 13lb desktop replacement lappy get 3 hours and 6 minutes on battery. It used to get 3 hours and 40 minutes when it was new :þ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:16 pm 

well, im actually going to use it for a laptop...just trying to make a deciision between both. most of the time id be using the laptop in a library situation with lots of poweroutletss and the like, just wanted to know which was better performance wise ie workrate (i'd also like to do some gaming on this...but most resource hogging gaming on my desktop). the choice i was trying to make was between an Acer Ferrari 3200 (using the A64 mobile 2800+) and the same model laptop with a pentium m @ 1.8ghz. If i can get more oomph at teh cost of a little battery time...ill be happy =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:10 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Flytrap7 wrote:
deject wrote:

A common misconception.

I can tell you from actual experience that my 13lb desktop replacement lappy get 3 hours and 6 minutes on battery. It used to get 3 hours and 40 minutes when it was new :þ

yeah, I'm not carrying aroung a 13lb behemoth everywhere. If you want to that's cool but I carry around enough crap as it is.

BTW, how many batteries you got in that thing? That is pretty damn good battery life...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:37 am 

deject wrote:
yeah, I'm not carrying aroung a 13lb behemoth everywhere. If you want to that's cool but I carry around enough crap as it is.

But what I'm saying is don't assume everyone here looking for advice wants a teeny ultraportable 6 hour laptop. For my line of work (and I'm sure others as well) I need as many devices packed into a laptop as possible, and basically every expansion port they can cram into it. I'm simply offering another point of view for the people here looking.

As for the weight, I've carried that 13lb beast halfway around the world, and I carry it with me to work 5 days a week. After about 2 months you don't notice it anymore, and it's been over three years now for me.

deject wrote:
BTW, how many batteries you got in that thing? That is pretty damn good battery life...

Just one Clevo 76W Li-Ion battery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:45 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

The Pentium M is by far the best mobile CPU to date. Coupled with the Intel Centrino platform, this chip has been making headlines all year. It is extremely efficient (a 2GHz Dothan Pentium M {2MB L2 Cache} can tie a 3GHz Intel P4) and is becoming the chip of choice for all lap top buyers. This chip has been such a success that we will be seeing it inside our desktops as early as next year. Great chip, highly recommended. IMHO
All the best.
=)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:12 am 

I am a big fan of the Pentium M... if you want a computer that's totally silent, Pentium M is a good starting point.

I am not sure on the thermal output of the mobile Anthlon64, but the latest batch of Pentium M tops out at around 21W!