Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Radeon Omega Drivers! get yer Omega Drivers here!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:48 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

FOr anyone not familiar, Omega drivers are hacked drivers that allow you to use the latest Radeon/Nvidia drivers on your laptop, without having to wait for your slow-ass OEM to put out special drivers just for your laptop. I found this nifty utility after having some problems with my OEM laptop gpu drivers which was preventing me from running some games, and causing anomalies in others, and I must say it at least so far it works VERY well, and my problems have cleared up. I've played with other Omega drivers before with mixed results, sometimes having to hack them myself so that they aren't trying to enable features the card doesn't support, which can cause wierdness. This is because a lot of the Omega drivers out there are "all-purpose", meaning they are one-size-fits-all, and not specifically set up for a particular card. This tool makes specific changes to the latest drivers downloaded from ATI based on the card you tell it you have, taking care of that business.

First, this tool only works with ATI drivers, so Nvidia folks will have to look elsewhere.

All you have to do is download the latest catalyst drivers, unpack, open up the DHmodtool utility, point it at the drivers (if you unpacked them to a location other than the default), tell it what mobile GPU you have, and it makes the changes. Then you just uninstall your old drivers ( I recommend using the tool from ATI's site for this), reboot, install the new drivers, reboot, and your using the latest Catalyst drivers on your laptop. Easy-Peasy-Japanesey. Or in this case Canadian, eh?

DHMODTOOL 2.2 download from Driverheaven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:39 am 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

Doesn't work with old ass Rage 128 Mobility chips does it? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:22 am 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

oh dear lord, Flytrap, leave that old timer alone! hasn't it deserved a rest? what could you be trying to make that thing do that you would want omega drivers for it?! It should be getting social security by now! :D

And the answer is no, according to the documentation. That is if you were serious. Since you stuck your tongue out at me, I'm not sure, but just in case, :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:01 am 

Actually it's getting a speed boost in the near future.

I found a tiny device that will allow me to use a Tualatin cpu in a FC-PGA socket. It's a LIF socket about half a centimeter thick and I'm pretty sure I can cram it into my lappy. If it works, I'll get a 40% increase in clockspeed (plus more boost if the OS sees the extra L2), it'll generate less heat then my coppermine, and it uses less power.

I'm going to document the whole thing and post it here once I get all the ingredients together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:08 am 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

whoa flytrap. maybe the old junker laptop i have could do the same thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:01 am 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

sounds like fun! Looking forward to some pics of the surgery and your smashing success, not your successful smashing!