Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Dead Dell for parts-LCD question
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:38 pm 
Phoenix Foundation (Top 10)

I have an Inspiron 1150 sitting here with a dead motherboard. Im currently deciding what to do with it. I paid about $300 for it from the customer who spilled the liquid on it. It looks like i can get about $400 for it if I part it out on ebay, otherwise i can pay the $400 and get a new board installed on it. If I invest the money into repairs, id obviously want to sell it, althought it looks like i wouldnt get that much from ebay, i would have to sell locally where i can make the money back. I figure i can get 800-900 out of it here. I think my best bet is to part it out and see what happens.

My other idea is a longshot. Does anyone know where i can go to get the LCD modified to mount in my truck as an external display? I do not know if this is possible, but it sounds like a good idea. Kid can watch DVDs on it, my GPS software would be visible, i could build a cheap rig under the seat for music and movies, maybe hook lappy into it or even a PS2. Just an idea that seemed workable. Anyone have some thoughts on this?

Second, can I get an external case for the laptop hard drive so that I can use it on MY laptop or for other things. Be nice to have an extra 30gig drive for whatever. I have already swapped out my DVD player for the cdrw-dvd rom. Its got 2 sticks of 256 otherwise i would have yanked that for myself too.

Just tryin to get ideas on what to do with it. thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:01 pm 

Had another idea. Ive got this thing ripped apart, baggin up all the items for now. What about the Proc? Can I pull it out and pop it on a desktop board, add a HS-FAN and call it good?

EDIT***Im getting all excited here, lol. I just pulled the HS and proc off the board. Someone tell me i can drop this on a Intel board and still use it, lol. Id have to rewire the fan assembly tho. Me thinks im gonna make good money off this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:37 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 98821&rd=1

This is what i found for hard drive adapter. Now i need a really small external case to put it in. 30gig pocket drive!!

Here is another item:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 80722&rd=1

I guess i can get this, looks like an all in 1 solution for my new microdrive:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 603&depa=0

Although, if I order the adapter and cable separate, i might save some cash.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:56 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

Using the lcd screen from a decaptitated laptop is difficult. Not impossible, but difficult enough to seriously consider whether or not it would be worth it!

http://www.eio.com/lcdconnect.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:53 pm 

Yeah, sounds like a lot of work, lol. If anyone out there knows how to do this so i can use my LCD for other hardware, id be interested. $100-$200 doesnt seem that bad to make use of a perfectly good LCD display.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:06 am 

BUMP

I need to get a little more feedback on this external drive idea. If anyone wants to take a look at the ebay links above and give me an opinion, that would be great.

It looks like i can order an adapter to convert to IDE, then just stick it in a tiny external case. Im sure that would be cheaper then the all in 1 unit shown for $60. The smaller the better...too bad i cant slide it into a PCMCIA slot, lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:41 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

update: rick if the proc is still good and is a P4 M, save it because they kick ass in a desktop enviornment. Let me know if this is your intention, and i'll give you some tips in the right direction.

BTW: use caution when doing this because there's a potiential of frying your proc due to the P4M's low voltage requirements, and among other things, they may not function properly, or even not work, on some P4 desktop motherboards.

I've also done the exact opposite, and used a desktop 3.2 Ghz desktop proc in my old HP laptop, which was once running a 1.5 Ghz P4 mobile. Now it's blazing fast! It's not a good idea to run on battery cause it's quick to drain the cells.

Since the LCD screen had gone out on the same HP laptop, I opted to mount the chasis in my Dodge RAM. Sound is wired through my amps for gaming and watching DVD's. It has a wireless keyboard and mouse, with the VAIO PC RM-MC1 remote control, and is connected to a 19" flatpanel TFT, using a 500 watt DC to AC converter on a small APC UPS.
Everything works great for me and the kids!

lol the PCMCIA slot pins are much tighter than that of the HD interface. even if you manage to force one into the slot, you'd be SOL. A thought would be to insert it into a HD MP3 player in the a form of an upgrade.

on the other hand, the external drive enclosures should work fine. They are similar to that of the FireLite models made by SmartDisk. I've been using them for years, they're a great storage alternative that fits into your pocket, and can be found in USB 2.0, and firewire spec. note that the USB versions don't need an external PSU brick as their firewire counterparts do. also there's no software required. Choice is yours... :wink:

as for the LCD mod, it's a hopeless case. You need a PLA Controller that has to match the signal specs of the LCD. It's very difficult to get the right one, so IMO, your best bet is to sell it to a local pc repairshop who can make good use of it. Hopefully you'd make some decent $$$.
Good Luck!