Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: I want to start off with the right foot (new laptop)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:33 am 

As a newbie to computing beyond basic applications, I have recently turned to Maximum PC. I have come across numerous articles in past issues on recommendations to keeping systems clean and fresh.

I just purchased a new Dell inspiron 9300 (spec)
Inspiron 9300,Pentium M 760 (2GHz/533MHz FSB)
17 inch True Life Wide Screen UXGA
1GB, DDR2, 533MHz 2 Dimm
256MB NVIDIA 6800

(in support of the little guy, I did not buy the MS Office suite, I have already downloaded openoffice www.openoffice.org and of course Firefox and Thunderbird)

Anyway, as with most manufactors, there is a bunch of needless software. I am looking for guidence in cleanly removing all the excess software and having a fresh registery. Then I would like to create a master boot disk (for emergency back up).

Since I don't have the articles or past issues, can anyone recommend where to begin? I know the system has service pack 2 installed, but I want to make sure all the extra little programs aren't running anymore. I don't know what it is called, but I recall there once being an article about how to turn off all the excess functionality of windows, if you don't do certain activities.

Last but not least, does anyone have any recommendations for a freeware (or at least really good) recommendations for virtual drives to run .ISO files. I have created several ISO files from disks that require being in the DVD drive to run. I want to be able to run the program directly on the hard drive.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:31 pm 
All Your Basestar Are Belong to Us
All Your Basestar Are Belong to Us

Dell installs tons o'crap you can manually remove.

Give us a listing of what's in your Add/Remove Programs and we'll tell you which ones to remove and which to keep.