Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: questions about Tablets & security
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:17 am 
Willamette
Willamette

I just pulled the trigger and went and got a Samsung Galaxy Tab (the 10" screen) and had some questions regarding security (since I'm more of a PC addict than a tablet person, so tablets and their Oses are still somewhat new to me)

But anyway, with the Android 3.1 Honeycomb OS, do you really have to worry about viruses, malware, spyware, etc? Or are these not really an issue (either because the OS is more "closed" than Windows is, or because of its software architecture)?

Second, are there any apps that you can get to protect your tablet? Such as a firewall to prevent people connected to the same wireless network from hacking into your tablet? (i tend to use it in public places to do email and other browsing---nothing financial or mission critical, but still I don't need people getting into my stuff).

I don't really care if it affects tablet performance a little, because I'm more concerned about security than I am about raw speed. Just as long as it can still play video and music without issues (For example, I know some of the Norton/Symantec products on Windows PCs can cause performance issues because of high resource usage by the security suite).

Ideas or suggestions? I'm not using it to download illegal stuff or anything like that... just normal everyday browsing the Internet, doing google searches, email, watching videos on Youtube, etc.

Post subject: Re: questions about Tablets & security
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:55 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Yes, worry, but not as much as on your PC. Malware does exist for Android, but is a bit more rare.

For security, I have used the AVG Free app.
I don't know about any firewalls, but I haven't really looked.
There really isn't much of a performance impact with AVG, but I don't know about others.

Post subject: Re: questions about Tablets & security
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:45 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

lolAndriod.