Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Dell laptop
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:27 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I have a Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop in need of repair, identical to the one seen here at Gamers Depot.

System Specs:
:twisted: Processor: Intel® Pentium® III Processor 1.2GHz-M
8) Display: 15in UltraXGA TFT Display
8) Memory: 512MB, 2DIMMs
:twisted: Video Card: 64MB 4X AGP ATI Mobility Radeon 7500
:shock: Primary Hard Drive: 60GB Hard Drive
:roll: Floppy Drive: Modular Floppy Drive
8) Operating System Software: Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional Edition SP2
:twisted: Modem: 10/100 + 56K Capable V.90 NIC/ Modem, Internal Mini-PCI
8) Removable CD/DVD Drives: 52X CDR-RW/ 8X Max Variable DVD

Note that i'm working on a "Transfer of Ownership" with the manufacturer, being that the previous owner is at sea for approximately six months, i won't be able to accomplish the transfer until he returns. With that said, It's been giving me problems since I bought it. I'm looking someone who knows the 8100 series laptops better than I do, I'm looking for a real Einstein. :P Can sombody save me!?

Here's my problem: Upon powering up, these systems have a primary login prompt. I need assistance to override this prompt so that I can get into the system. I took the mainboard out and got this Dell Part Number:6K117. I've tried cutting the power overnight from the internal auxiliary battery to reset things, but i'm having no luck. So any other cost saving suggestions, or ideas including where I can perform a jumper/solder on the system board would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:15 pm 
All Your Basestar Are Belong to Us
All Your Basestar Are Belong to Us

Are you talking about a BIOS password, or a Windows password?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:11 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Number Six wrote:
Are you talking about a BIOS password, or a Windows password?

neither one

Aside from the Windows password (which is not set) this laptop has three other password prompts. Two of which I'm not concerned about, and they are the bios & hard drive passwords (these two have not been set as well). What I need is the primary login password.

Primary login Password: This is the power-on password that will prevent the system from booting (completing the POST) unless the correct password is entered

Bios Password: Self explanitory...prevents changes from being made to the system setup/bios properties.

Hard-Disk Drive Password: This password stays with the hard drive if the drive is moved to another system.

For clarification purposes:
I've been asked by others, why do I need the primary password if the bios password has not been set?
This is because the computer powers up to a blue screen prompting me for the primary password. If I had the primary password, I can use the computer nomally.
Till then I can't enter the bios to make any changes whatsoever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:38 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

Look for the laptop's clock battery and remove it for a little while. It'll look something like this:

If you've already done that and the password is still there, it's probably not a BIOs password, and probably software based.

At that point I'd say to remove the laptop's internal HDD, stick it in an external Firewire or USB enclosure, attach it to a working system and then format the drive. Drop the drive back into the laptop and install a fresh copy of whatever OS your prefer on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:56 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Flytrap7 wrote:
Look for the laptop's clock battery and remove it for a little while. If you've already done that and the password is still there, it's probably not a BIOs password, and probably software based.

ok, i got that far, here's what it looks like on an inspiron

Flytrap7 wrote:
At that point I'd say to remove the laptop's internal HDD, stick it in an external Firewire or USB enclosure, attach it to a working system and then format the drive. Drop the drive back into the laptop and install a fresh copy of whatever OS your prefer on it.

next step...

conclusion: primary login pops up immediatly, asking for user name and pasword. System is still inacessible...any idea what the cmos chip looks like?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:23 pm 

Were there two partitions on that HDD when you formatted it?

I've see a few Dell (and other manufacturers) that have a 10MB partition at the beginning of the drive to store system settings and information.

EDIT: If you format that partition, you'll need a system restore disk to put it back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:29 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

hummm. so the second you power up it asks for a password? no post or anything? thats fuxoring strange. i was gonna bust out ERD commander to kick the computers ass but if you cant even get it to boot to a floppy then forget it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:30 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

gramaton cleric wrote:
hummm. so the second you power up it asks for a password? no post or anything? thats fuxoring strange. i was gonna bust out ERD commander to kick the computers ass but if you cant even get it to boot to a floppy then forget it.

yup, takes about a second or two. sounds like Big Guns...yikes!
i'm sure it's something good but, that one flew over my head. :)
havn't got a clue about the Commander. i'll look it up...thanks

Flytrap7 wrote:
If you format that partition, you'll need a system restore disk to put it back.

edit:
yup, yup, was prepared for that...I wiped it clean...It had a ten gig partition for the mfr install, twenty for the OS, and the remainder for music. Let me know if you have any other suggestions cause i'm still stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Update:

BTW: my uncle knows someone with the same make and model. He's telling me that his friends LCD display blacked out on him, and will be calling me back.

2nd update:

Just called the other guy needin' a display and he said it's going to cost him $713.75 locally to have it replaced. So I told him about my lappy, and he says he ain't gonna wait a few more weeks for his Dell part to come in. I think he's getting the run around, as usual. Anyway, we closed a deal for a decent price, i'll be changing out his display, upping the 30GBHD to a 60, and swapping the GPU. I'm relieved to know that my headaches have been sold.

no Dell...no problem :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:02 pm 

Can I suggest a few great alternatives to Dell/Gateway/eMachines/Toshiba/HP/Shitpaq/etc:

www.pro-star.com
www.sagernotebooks.com
www.eurocom.com & www.eurocom.ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:55 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Daveyd, you know how to swap out a GPU for a dell? I got a 5100 with a 32MB radeon 7500 that I could use replaced for a better gpu. I haven't had much experience inside a laptop but I replaced my HDD and opened it up once to clean it out. If you know where to find a GPU for mine and think I could do it myself, let me know. I would like a price estimate too, thanks.

My other specs are pretty good.
- 512mb ram
- 60gb 7200rpm hitachi
- 2.4ghz P4A

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:00 pm 

hit up support.dell.com, they should have online documentation for their laptops. http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins5100/en/sm/index.htm
shows you howto get to the GPU.

the only upgrades to your setup i know about would be the Mobility Radeon 9000 or the GeForce FX5200 Go. there is a chance you can order them from dell spare parts (phone only, not online ordering). right now ebay has these http://search.ebay.com/inspiron-5100-video_W0QQfromZR40QQsojsZ1 GPUs listed.
i upgraded my inspiron 8000 from the ATI m4 to m9, this upgrade wasn't supported by dell and i had to get drivers from www.omegadrivers.com.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:53 pm 

Stick wrote:
If you know where to find a GPU for mine and think I could do it myself, let me know. I would like a price estimate too, thanks.

I saw a few that would fit yours on fleaBay.

Here's a completed one just to give you an idea what to look for:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW