Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: FlyTrap help!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:52 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I notice that you have experience in opening laptops and cleaning them. Could you please give me advice on any precautions I should take when opening a laptop. Also, anything unusual that I shoud look out for.

See if this sounds right:

-make sure the laptop is shut off and unplugged from everything
-take out the battery
-take out the keyboard? before unscrewing the screws in the bottom?
-use a compressor air hose to blow the dust out?
anything else?

I will probably just follow the manual's instructions for taking it apart.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: FlyTrap help!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:30 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

Stick wrote:
Also, anything unusual that I shoud look out for.

Large Dust Bunnies.

Stick wrote:
See if this sounds right:

-make sure the laptop is shut off and unplugged from everything
-take out the battery
-take out the keyboard? before unscrewing the screws in the bottom?
-use a compressor air hose to blow the dust out?
anything else?

Before taking the entire thing apart (sometimes you can cause permanant damage) see if there's a modular area around the CPU housing that will let you get at just the CPU without having to pull the entire chassis apart.

If you're feeling really confident, put a little dab of artic silver 5 between the CPU and the heatsink. It's kept my laptop from overheating, even with a few dust bunnies in the CPU cooler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:43 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

(Everyone with a laptop please read.)

You were right. I took the keyboard out and under that is a plate. I took one screw out of that plate and took it off. That revealed the intake fan and the heatsink apperatus. I took the intake fan off and looked inside to see that the heasink was blocked by a wall of dust. I used a Qtip to remove the dust and the vaccuum to remove any small dust particles left inside.

After I cleaned everything up and put everything back together I gave the machine a test. I can usually play Warhammer against one other team without lag, a 4 person map makes me lag. So I tested it on a 4 person map and experienced NO lag. Then tryed a 6 person map and experienced NO lag. I have yet to try an 8 person map.

Before, my proc would get very warm and make the keyboard warm. Now my proc stays cooler than my HDD! My cpu power boosted, its like brand new again!

BTW, my computer is 1.5 years old and this was the first time I cleaned it out. I will probably clean it out now twice a year. I highly recommend anyone with a laptop to do this aswell. Its easy, just don't strip any screws. :x

thanks for the advice flytrap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:06 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

maybe its time to bust open the 3 year old IBM laptop, its slow as death.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:11 pm 

I encountered the same thing back in January 2002.

I had owned my laptop for about 8 months and it had started shutting down on it's own. Unfortunately I was in Australia at the time and sending it back to tech support was not an option because I had papers I was in the middle of typing out and projects that needed to get done for school.

So I figured out that it was the CPU fan because it had been operating on high for the past couple months and hadn't downshifted back to low speed in a long ass time. I took the cover off the CPU housing and disassembled the CPU cooler and pulled out a wad of dust and hair. Computer ran great after that, and I continued to clean it out every 5 to 6 months.

Last time I did it I added some artic silver 5 to it and it's been really happy since.

Here's a shot I took in Australia after the first time I had taken it apart:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:22 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Wow, I thought my laptop had some crappy cooling system, that one just has one fan pushing air out?

I should have taken a pic today but my cpu was in a metal housing with two copper heat pipes running just a small distance to the back of the comp where there is a heatsink with fins. Then the fan on the bottom pulls the cool air up and out the back through these fins in the back.

If you can picture it, the fins cool the heat pipes connected to the CPU.

So, I didn't even see the CPU because it was in a metal enclosure. I just got the dust bunnies out of the compartment where the air comes in and passes through the fins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:26 pm 

Stick wrote:
Wow, I thought my laptop had some crappy cooling system, that one just has one fan pushing air out?

Ive got a ~25W Pentium III Coppermine running at 1000Mhz, it doesn't need a high tech cooler.