Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Public area login
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:17 am 

If my passwords are already stored in my browser and I log in to say my webmail account on public wifi can they be logger by a key logger? Also, if I copy and past a password in a login box can they be copied. I'm going to NY later this week and while i feel safe in the public places I go to here at home I'm a little leery of NYC. ???

Post subject: Re: Public area login
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:21 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

1) Passwords are not stored in your browser and are rather on your computer.
2)Yes. A keylogger will log your PW if it's installed physically on your PC. Keyloggers are ON your computer.
3)If you're on Public Wireless at Starbucks, I can also set there and sniff the airwaves and grab more than your passwords.
4) Physical Keylogger and freely transferring over public WAN's being known...you should be more aware of people like us...and we're not all bad.

Keylogger is on your computer. If you leave your computer alone or have parents wanting to watch you, they can be installed. You can track anything if you have access to it and really want to watch it (thus, parents).

When you're on public wireless, there's usually people sniffing you. It's just this day and age where we're all curious. I'm sitting in my house and can see two Starbucks networks and can play with all those and play freely. Sadly, it's boring snoops but some bad guys could really do damage. If you're down at Starbucks acting like you're writing a Novel but watching cats on YouTube...I see that. I "could" also see you log onto your bank...so don't do that.

Windows has a Public setting, and you want to deny everything, switch modes, and use it. It's basically a firewall setting, but if you put it out there...someone is curious. Facebook? We don't care (yet). If you want to know about your bank account, go to the ATM.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do. NY City has Wells Fargo too ;)