Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Upgrade 4 yo IBM Thinkpad A21p...?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:49 pm 

Hello everybody

I have an IBM Thinkpad A21p Pentium 3.
4 years ago I paid a hell of a lot money for it.
It was the very best at that time.

Now...
What can I do? how can I "upgrade" it somehow?
Is it possible anyhow?

I want to be able to work with graphic design and edit video, on the Thinkpad..

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:01 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

As a rule of thumb, you generally can't upgrade notebooks. THe most you'll be able to do on that one is the HDD and RAM. Some newer gaming notebooks allow you the ability to swap videocards, but 99% don't. If you want a faster notebook, you'll have to buy one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:18 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Just like Willah, da 1337 h4x0r stated, almost all notebooks are only good for an hdd or memory upgrade.

Of course, being 1337 h4x0rZ that we are, you can always swap out the CPU too, if your motherboard will support the newer chip. Problem is, atleast in your instance, with your laptop being 4 years old and proprieatary as hell, I wouldn't risk anything like that. I would save up and go buy a new one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:57 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Aside from memeory and HDD, there isn't anything else you can upgrade or do, to prolong the systems life. If you are looking for upgradeability in a laptop, then your next laptop should be an Alienware, as everything from the system board on up is upgradeable, (graphics subsystem, processor, ideo card, even the case), of course this does come at a premium (higher price then what you paid for your IBM).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:00 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Contrary to popular belief about hardware upgrades on a laptop, there are many internal and external device in the market today to prolong it's life. Ram and hard drive aren't the only hardware that can be upgraded. As one had commented, the video card can also be upgraded on certain models. Internal CD-DVD drives, LCD's, CPU's, LAN cards, modems, can be upgraded on many laptops. As for sound, there's the external Sound Blaster Extigy that proves worthy. There's a plethora of pc card gadgets out there that will drive you crazy. Also, get to know more about the innards of your machine, you'll be surprised, what you thought could not be upgraded, can.

Here's what I found, If you are dealing with industrial and consumer video editing, you can use the Thinkpad's S video in and out to capture video and burn it to disk. For high-end digital video editing, I recommend getting an ADS PYRO 1394 DV card or DV Express II. There are Pentium III CPU's over 1 GHz available for this series. I believe the maximum memory is 512MB, which is still ample. If yours came with a CD rom/DVD rom, replace it with a internal or external one. Since the system comes with a single USB port. The solution is to buy an expansion peripheral that lets you have up to 4 additional USB ports and also keyboard and mouse ports.

Don't believe the hype :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:22 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

daveyd wrote:
There are Pentium III CPU's over 1 GHz available for this series.

I've got a laptop from that era, and unfortunately Intel changed the socket from FC-PGA to FC-PGA2, making it impossible to upgrade many of the laptops equipped with vanilla FC-PGA sockets.

I was all set to dump my 1.0Ghz P3 Coppermine for a 1.4Ghz 512K Tualatin, but because of the socket incompatibility, it made the upgrade impossible.

Many of the 3rd party adapters add about a 1/4" of height to the socket making it impoosible to use in a laptop with the stock cooling system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:20 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Flytrap7 wrote:
daveyd wrote:
There are Pentium III CPU's over 1 GHz available for this series.

I've got a laptop from that era, and unfortunately Intel changed the socket from FC-PGA to FC-PGA2, making it impossible to upgrade many of the laptops equipped with vanilla FC-PGA sockets.

I was all set to dump my 1.0Ghz P3 Coppermine for a 1.4Ghz 512K Tualatin, but because of the socket incompatibility, it made the upgrade impossible.

Many of the 3rd party adapters add about a 1/4" of height to the socket making it impoosible to use in a laptop with the stock cooling system.

The adapters can also be used on a motherboard that has a broken heatsink / fan tabs off of the CPU socket so that you don't need to invest in another motherboard. Most notably in a laptop, they require some creative engineering to other components for proper fitting. The Jetart Xcool NP5000 Laptop Cooler can be used to alleviate some cooling issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:58 am 

daveyd wrote:
Most notably in a laptop, they require some creative engineering to other components for proper fitting. The Jetart Xcool NP5000 Laptop Cooler can be used to alleviate some cooling issues.

Right, however since most laptops are constructed rather tightly, the CPU heatsink would be too far away from the board to screw back in because of the extra height. Not only that, but also the outside panel wouldn't fit back on either, due to the heatsink taking up the extra space.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:21 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

I have a smilar A22m. The bad news is that these things seem to be proprietary as hell. The RAM is easy enough to change, but 256 sticks of PC100 SODIMMs are pricey.

The good news is that running on 512 is a hell of a lot nicer than running on the 128 it came with.

And Mandrake 10.1 works quite nicely on it.