Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: New PDA - What National ISP's Are Available To Surf With?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:48 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:25 am
Posts: 81
Location: Michigan
Hello,

Following the advice of several friends who are PDA tech gurus , I just ordered a new Dell Axim X50v.
One of the most important uses for me, aside from standard PDA apps, is the ability to surf the net while on the road for work, once or twice a month. At home, I have Comcast broadband cable, and I also have a broadband AOL account provided by my company. My question is what options do I have for a national internet provider to use for this purpose? I travel, most often, to Chicago, LA, and Denver semi-regularily.
Also, I understand I can use a bluetooth cell phone to connect,but wouldnt this be really slow? I have been told that I should be able to connect wirelessly, at hotels that offer broadband internet, and I could connect, assuming I am somewhere that wifi is available, but I still need a nationally available internet provider to conenct TO, using any of these options, right?
Thanks for any assistance. I'm new to this particular game but REALLY looking forward to using my new toy.



Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New PDA - What National ISP's Are Available To Surf Wit
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:08 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:00 pm
Posts: 36
Location: Texas
SwordOne wrote:
Hello,

Following the advice of several friends who are PDA tech gurus , I just ordered a new Dell Axim X50v.
One of the most important uses for me, aside from standard PDA apps, is the ability to surf the net while on the road for work, once or twice a month. At home, I have Comcast broadband cable, and I also have a broadband AOL account provided by my company. My question is what options do I have for a national internet provider to use for this purpose? I travel, most often, to Chicago, LA, and Denver semi-regularily.
Also, I understand I can use a bluetooth cell phone to connect,but wouldnt this be really slow? I have been told that I should be able to connect wirelessly, at hotels that offer broadband internet, and I could connect, assuming I am somewhere that wifi is available, but I still need a nationally available internet provider to conenct TO, using any of these options, right?
Thanks for any assistance. I'm new to this particular game but REALLY looking forward to using my new toy.



To answer your direct question, NO, you don't need a nation ISP if you are going to jump on a wireless hotspot at a hotel, airport, etc...whatever ISP that network has is your ISP. You don't need an account with someone else to log into...you will get direct internet access through that network.

Also, yes you can connect to the internet through a bluetooth phone, but you will want to make sure that phone has an appropriate data plan. It is quite fast on the Cingular GSM/EDGE network as I helped a customer pair his PDA with his Motorola V551 the other day and it worked great.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New PDA - What National ISP's Are Available To Surf Wit
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:40 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:48 am
Posts: 194
Location: Detroit
SwordOne wrote:
Hello,

Following the advice of several friends who are PDA tech gurus , I just ordered a new Dell Axim X50v.
One of the most important uses for me, aside from standard PDA apps, is the ability to surf the net while on the road for work, once or twice a month. At home, I have Comcast broadband cable, and I also have a broadband AOL account provided by my company. My question is what options do I have for a national internet provider to use for this purpose? I travel, most often, to Chicago, LA, and Denver semi-regularily.
Also, I understand I can use a bluetooth cell phone to connect,but wouldnt this be really slow? I have been told that I should be able to connect wirelessly, at hotels that offer broadband internet, and I could connect, assuming I am somewhere that wifi is available, but I still need a nationally available internet provider to conenct TO, using any of these options, right?
Thanks for any assistance. I'm new to this particular game but REALLY looking forward to using my new toy.




Not to be nitpicky here, but wouldn't it have been best to purchase a smart phone, such as a Treo 650 or a Blcakberry, with unlimited data service so you could surf the net from anywhere, and not have to worry about wifi cards and finding a hotspot? A plan from Sprint would run 45 for cell service and 15 for data service. Most hotels that offer wifi service do so for a fee, I do not know of to many that give it for free. So again the smartphone still looks, at least to me, as the better alternative, especially if you travel a lot like you say you do. With the smartphoe you can configre the unit so you can receive your emails on it too (would not have to connect to the web to read your email). If it is not to late, I would return the Axim and purchase a smartphone, this way you do not have to worry about hotspot availibility, wherever there is a cell tower you have the net at your disposal.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New PDA - What National ISP's Are Available To Surf Wit
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:08 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:25 am
Posts: 81
Location: Michigan
big_montana wrote:
SwordOne wrote:
Hello,



Not to be nitpicky here, but wouldn't it have been best to purchase a smart phone, such as a Treo 650 or a Blcakberry, with unlimited data service so you could surf the net from anywhere, and not have to worry about wifi cards and finding a hotspot? A plan from Sprint would run 45 for cell service and 15 for data service. Most hotels that offer wifi service do so for a fee, I do not know of to many that give it for free. So again the smartphone still looks, at least to me, as the better alternative, especially if you travel a lot like you say you do. With the smartphoe you can configre the unit so you can receive your emails on it too (would not have to connect to the web to read your email). If it is not to late, I would return the Axim and purchase a smartphone, this way you do not have to worry about hotspot availibility, wherever there is a cell tower you have the net at your disposal.


Thanks for your thoughts. I am locked in to Verizon as a cellular provider, by my corporation, so I dont have the options you describe. Also, even if I had the choice, I would never want my cellular phone to also be my PDA and my web connection. I want seperate options to accomplish these things. None of the Phones that double as PDA's are small enough anyway, and none of them have adequate screens. These are created for people who dont care about functionality, only to be on the cutting edge, regardless of purpose.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:23 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:41 am
Posts: 9316
National ISP Hotspots?


www.t-mobile.com
www.wayport.com
www.boingo.com


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:59 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:05 pm
Posts: 1739
Location: howell, mi
*thinks really hard*

Hmm if you can modify a short wave radio to carry data.... then have a separate unit to decode it, I think you would be set.

*Looks around for FCC agents*


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New PDA - What National ISP's Are Available To Surf Wit
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:33 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:00 pm
Posts: 36
Location: Texas
SwordOne wrote:
Thanks for your thoughts. I am locked in to Verizon as a cellular provider, by my corporation, so I dont have the options you describe. Also, even if I had the choice, I would never want my cellular phone to also be my PDA and my web connection. I want seperate options to accomplish these things. None of the Phones that double as PDA's are small enough anyway, and none of them have adequate screens. These are created for people who dont care about functionality, only to be on the cutting edge, regardless of purpose.


The Siemens SX66 has a more than adequate screen.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: New PDA - What National ISP's Are Available To Surf Wit
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:48 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:48 am
Posts: 194
Location: Detroit
SwordOne wrote:

Thanks for your thoughts. I am locked in to Verizon as a cellular provider, by my corporation, so I dont have the options you describe. Also, even if I had the choice, I would never want my cellular phone to also be my PDA and my web connection. I want seperate options to accomplish these things. None of the Phones that double as PDA's are small enough anyway, and none of them have adequate screens. These are created for people who dont care about functionality, only to be on the cutting edge, regardless of purpose.


You do have the choice, as Verizon offers Treo's, Blackberrys, Audiovox and Samsun units for this purpose. You make it sound like they are a 3rd rate carrier in a 3rd rate country. The screens on the smartphones are just as bright as those of their standalone PDA cousins, most people who buy them, purchase them becasue of their functionality, not to be on the cutting edge. I can receive my emails (both personal and business) directly to my phone anywhere I am in the world. I can compose/send emails from it, work on word and excel documents and view pdf files too. As far as size, my Treo is 6.5 oz, as in ounces! thats pretty light and small to me, Its size is small enough to fit in a shirt pocket if I so choose to carry it there, but like most I wear it in a holster on my belt. Plus, ,y Treo has bluetooth built in, so I could connect it to my laptop and use it as a modem to connect to the internet if a wireless hot spot were not available where I was(another benefit to having a smartphone). The only smartphones I have seen that are to small are the Audiovox and the Motorola, screen sizes not much larger then a standard cell phone.


Top
  Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group