Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Thoughts on Dell Inspiron 9200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:19 pm 

Looking for peoples thoughts on the Dell Inspiron 9200 laptops, I will probably be purchasing by tomorrow or Wednesday.

I have always wanted an Alienware, but there are a little more expensive, and I don't see why they won't make a mobile P4 version of their Area-51m laptops. I can't take the 2.2-2.3 hour battery life - thats one thing that drives me nuts with my current laptop.

So, Dell has some great offers right now and I get some additional discounts through work which make it a great deal price wise, just wanted to see if anyone had any particular opinions. My service/tech support wasn't bad when I bought my current laptop from them, but this one will be almost fully loaded. Anyone have/had one?

All opinions welcome, as long as your not lying for no reason ;)

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:06 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I'd be wary of anything to do with Dell, but that is just because of my bad luck with their so-called service/support. If you've had better experience with them, well, I'd STILL be wary of them.

Got a link, by any chance?

Post subject: Re: Thoughts on Dell Inspiron 9200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:08 am 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

ckeck wrote:
Looking for peoples thoughts on the Dell Inspiron 9200 laptops, I will probably be purchasing by tomorrow or Wednesday.

If you're already set to buy the laptop, what exactly are you looking to get from us?

Post subject: Re: Thoughts on Dell Inspiron 9200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:36 pm 

Flytrap7 wrote:
If you're already set to buy the laptop, what exactly are you looking to get from us?

Just checking to make sure there isn't a for sure reason why not to get it, or to see if anyone else had any other recommendations I could look into before dropping $2,800.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:36 pm 

whitecree wrote:

A link to what?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:31 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

ckeck wrote:
whitecree wrote:

A link to what?

DellTM Inspiron 9200 - also I think they want to see your config.

IMO, I also would not touch Dell with a 10 foot pole. Go and read their warrenty

How long does this limited warranty last?

This limited warranty lasts for the time period indicated on your packing slip or invoice, except for the following Dell-branded hardware....

The limited warranty on all Dell-branded products begins on the date of the packing slip or invoice. The warranty period is not extended if we repair or replace a warranted product or any parts. Dell may change the availability of limited warranties, at its discretion, but any changes will not be retroactive.

What will Dell do?

During the 90 days of the 90-day limited warranty and the first year of all other limited warranties: During the 90 days of the 90-day limited warranty and the first year of all other limited warranties, we will repair any Dell-branded hardware products returned to us that prove to be defective in materials or workmanship. If we are not able to repair the product, we will replace it with a comparable product that is new or refurbished.

I know someone that returned a new expensive system within 30 days, she was sent a similar, refurbished computer that did not have the same software/hardware that she configured. She dropped down over $2,000 on this and was sent a refurb!

If it were me, I would go to Compaq & configure one, they stand behind their products. We own 2 laptops by Compaq and have been very happy with them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:49 am 
Phoenix Foundation (Top 10)
Phoenix Foundation (Top 10)

I hate Dells tech support, but there laptops are priced decent and I really like mine. I only have the 5160, but it works great for me. Ive sold quite a few others laptops to customers, the 1000 models, and they are all happy with them as well. Just keep in mind the tech support is all foreign and the warranties suck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:34 am 

I work for a rather large organization, and all we deal with is Dell's (I bought my first Laptop from them in `02) While I will agree that there support is sometimes spotty at best, it is alot better IMO the hp/compaq systems.

one example:

I was away for training in 2003, the back light on my Inspiron 8100 went out. A friend of mine who was there as well had his Compaq laptop ( forget the model) HD die on him. Anyhow both systems were under warranty still so we called our respective companies to get the repairs done. 3 days later Dell sends out a Tech to replace my screen, no charge. At the same time Compaq was telling my buddy to send his system in, and that it will be returned to him in a few weeks. (He was not a happy camper.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:50 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Dell scares me, they have bad service. Did get a new 19" monitor out of them though.

Yes, it is plugged it. I tested with 3 different computers. Yes the video cable is indeed plugged in. No, I don't think reinstalling Windows will work. Yes I am the owner of the PC... Ya, that went on for 3 hours. Most of the time we were repeating our selves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:00 am 

Perhaps that is what helped me, I told that I am in IT field and I work with Dells on a daily basis, I then told him what I did to troubleshoot the laptop. He tried to mention something else but I cut him off with a "Like I told you, I allready checked that" response. The call lasted only 15 minutes. Not trying to sound like a Dell Fanboy, but the only time I have had trouble with Dell is when I am overseas. Then it becomes a royal pain in the ass to deal with. But as long as I am in the U.S. My problems with them are usually minimal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:10 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Count your lucky stars then. You are among the few that have had a run of good luck with Dell laptops. If you ever check the Dell forums, you will see nothing but posts from disgruntled customers about the cooktops (intentional pun as you can cook on them as they run that hot) they produce. I am currently supporting 300 Dell D600 and X300 laptops. The X300 has to be the worst model they have ever released, some examples: onboard usb dieing, laptops shorting (which will in turn burn out any item plugged into the usb port at the time, like my brand new Treo 650, still waiting to get reimbured for that from Dell), run extremely hot, noisy (disabling usb power management solved this one), LCD's crack easy as they didn't design the protective bezel to well (they need to look at IBM X40 for pointers), high HDD failure rates. Trust me, I will never recommend Dell to anyone, IBM, Compaq/HP, Toshiba, Motion, Alienware much better choices, even if you have to pay more. Remember the old saying - "You get what you pay for" and "buy cheap get cheap", In Dells case this is true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:41 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

If you're not satisfied with the responses, check out Dell support forums and see exactly what some of these people are talknig about. As for me, choosing anything made by dell is a nasty choice, one out of every three customers have something to gripe about. Good luck with their tech support, it's far from what the TV commercials depict, seriously.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:58 am 

I have found the exact opposite. I've had a number of Compaq/HP laptops and every one of them has been trash. I've had no end of problems from USB ports, to lockups to crashing, etc.

I've even had a few issues with IBM laptops, although most of the time they are fairly solid (except for the new T42s, we've had a number of them die on us).

I've had quite a few Dell laptops and outside of some power supply issues I've never had a problem.

It really seems to be the luck of the draw most of the time, I've seen disgruntled consumers for all of the major brands including names like VoodooPC and Alienware.

I have to say though that the new Dell XPS2 looks super sweet. Fastest 3dMark05 scores to date out of any laptop made (stock and those that have been reviewed) and a two hour battery life.

Take a look at it here:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1769526,00.asp

big_montana wrote:
Count your lucky stars then. You are among the few that have had a run of good luck with Dell laptops. If you ever check the Dell forums, you will see nothing but posts from disgruntled customers about the cooktops (intentional pun as you can cook on them as they run that hot) they produce. I am currently supporting 300 Dell D600 and X300 laptops. The X300 has to be the worst model they have ever released, some examples: onboard usb dieing, laptops shorting (which will in turn burn out any item plugged into the usb port at the time, like my brand new Treo 650, still waiting to get reimbured for that from Dell), run extremely hot, noisy (disabling usb power management solved this one), LCD's crack easy as they didn't design the protective bezel to well (they need to look at IBM X40 for pointers), high HDD failure rates. Trust me, I will never recommend Dell to anyone, IBM, Compaq/HP, Toshiba, Motion, Alienware much better choices, even if you have to pay more. Remember the old saying - "You get what you pay for" and "buy cheap get cheap", In Dells case this is true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:18 pm 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

kbdrand wrote:
I have found the exact opposite. I've had a number of Compaq/HP laptops and every one of them has been trash. I've had no end of problems from USB ports, to lockups to crashing, etc.

I've even had a few issues with IBM laptops, although most of the time they are fairly solid (except for the new T42s, we've had a number of them die on us).

I've had quite a few Dell laptops and outside of some power supply issues I've never had a problem.

So why have you owned so many laptops? I also wonder if perhaps the specs weren't up to par- say low on ram, and wonder if ram was added if they would have been good laptops. :idea:

lock ups, crashing is usually something like that or driver related.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:09 pm 

i've had my dell inspiron 8000 for 4 years now. i can say that their online documentation is good and they have a decent forum to get most questions answered. i've never phoned them for help, i'd look up at their support site and take care of the problem myself. so far for this laptop i've upgraded both optical drives, the hard drive, battery, memory and GPU.