Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Help! LCD problems
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:51 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Maybe someone else here is better with notebooks then I. I have 2 Compaq Presario 1700T notebooks. After a random amount of time being used generaly random after 30 minutes or so of use. The screen will go all white and stay that way for a little bit then go back to normal then 30 seconds to 5 minutes later do it again. Sometimes it will go all white until i reset it.

Both notebooks are out of warranty which sucks both of them started having this issue within 1 week of each other and about 2 months after warranty expired. One thing i was thinking is the LCD inverters are going out on them. But before I buy the inverters I want a second opinion and maybe someone could point me to another possible fix.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:42 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

Are you hearing your fans kick in? I'm noticing on our 906US that the fans aren't coming on- this laptop used to always run the fan. What are your power options set as? This happening while your using it or while it's going into screensaver, etc?

Compaq has a web chat that is free even if your warrenty has expired.

From Compaq- patches for XP- you don't say what OS it's running. Here's the page to select other OS's. I wonder if a driver update will cure this problem. Looking at your specs, I'm unsure if your even running XP.

I'm seeing HP Notebook PCs - Display is Distorted or Checkered when Pressure is Applied to Base- I wonder if there is a recall on it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:14 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Gah sorry for the lack of info, half asleep when i made that post. One laptop has XP Pro the other is running Windows ME. The screens go white whenever it feels like it it don't matter your using it or its screensaver mode. Yes I hear the fans engaging. Both laptops are patched with all available updates and it still does the same thing.

I will also go back and check Compaqs website to see if I can find this issue there. I have already tried to find it once but no luck. I honestly wouldn't be suprised if there is a recall what are the chances of getting 2 laptops that have this problem in a 1 week span of each other? Or is it just my bad luck?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:19 pm 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

Hey, when was the last time you factory restored them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:18 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Unfortunately this has been an issue with compaq laptops...what happens when you open and close the LCD lid several times quickly to bring the display back? If you've done this and the problem still persists, it sounds like the PLA controller is giving you the ghost. Try switching to analogue input then switch back to digital, if all is OK your problem is the AD converter which is in the PLA controller, on most older TFT you can remove the PLA as it is in a socket, but later it is SMT and can not be replaced at home.