Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: browser and outlook on thumb drive.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:52 am 

can anyone share any how-to links on having a browser and outlook on a thumb drive?

trying to have all my links and browser on a thumb drive so i can run it on any computer. would love to also have outlook on it as well. hopefully i can have the outlook pst file sync up with my desktop outlook.

thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: browser and outlook on thumb drive.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:11 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

adamkarwowski wrote:
can anyone share any how-to links on having a browser and outlook on a thumb drive?

trying to have all my links and browser on a thumb drive so i can run it on any computer. would love to also have outlook on it as well. hopefully i can have the outlook pst file sync up with my desktop outlook.

thanks in advance.

Firefox and Thunderbird are both available for portable apps. I don't know any way to run outlook on a thumb drive. You can also set gmail to pull your mail from a pop3 account. It will also work on some corporate accounts. Unfortunately it only does the email part. If you need the calender functions gmail can't help.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:25 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

All the portable apps you will ever want are at PortableApps.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:10 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

Where did you see outlook on there? Can you give a link to that specific app? I've used portable apps on a thumb drive in Korea, Japan, The Philippines and Thailand. Works great and I love it. But to my knowledge they don't support Outlook. You can also run them from a memory card in a card reader. My laptop has separate slots for an SD card and a Sony memory stick so I keep Portable apps on a 16 gig SD card and run Firefox from there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:35 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

There is Outlook 2 Pen. I've never used or needed it since I only use IMAP mail. For full functionality, Outlook requires local storage of their hyper bloated PST architecture. Reason enough, for me anyway, to steer clear.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:33 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

kleinkinstein wrote:
There is Outlook 2 Pen. I've never used or needed it since I only use IMAP mail. For full functionality, Outlook requires local storage of their hyper bloated PST architecture. Reason enough, for me anyway, to steer clear.

Outlook is great in a business environment. It is much, much more than simply an email client. Unfortunately you are correct, a .pst file can grow to genourmous size and is really overkill for joe home user. I use gmail to collect my mail from the company provided email account and all my personal accounts except yahoomail. I'd like to be able to use it for my yahoo accounts too but so far no luck and I won't be holding my breath while I'm waiting.