Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Rooted Android software question.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:15 am 
Team Member*
Team Member*

I am wondering if after you root a Andriod(My Touch) phone if you still need to use the carrier plans data plans or will it just go through your internet and be free like a computer. I just don't want to pay for there(T-mobile) data plan if I don't have to.

Post subject: Re: Rooted Android software question.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:32 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Wiked_smart wrote:
I am wondering if after you root a Andriod(My Touch) phone if you still need to use the carrier plans data plans or will it just go through your internet and be free like a computer. I just don't want to pay for there(T-mobile) data plan if I don't have to.

Absolutely not. You can't get free data.

The only way to get free 'net access is to connect to your home network using your phone's wifi.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:44 pm 
Team Member*
Team Member*

Thanks that is what I was looking for. I am just now starting to get on the "smartphone" band wagaon and know very little about them and there capabilities. I spoke with a phone company rep and they told me that even if the phone has wifi that when you use it via wifi that it still goes through their severs and charges you accordingly. I figured if I can buy the phone and root it then I could free myself from their tyrannical bindings.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:51 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

You don't need to root it to use wifi for free .. they can't control what you do on your own network.

Anything that goes over theirs, they can.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:41 am 
Team Member*
Team Member*

Thanks again it's nice to here that confirmation on that that helped boat loads!! I had a feeling the rep was talking out her ass.

:D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:56 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Wiked_smart wrote:
Thanks again it's nice to here that confirmation on that that helped boat loads!! I had a feeling the rep was talking out her ass.

:D

Absolutely she was .. I'd complain.

Wifi on your phone is exactly the same as wifi on a laptop .. if you have access to the network, you have 'free' data. In terms of access, there is no difference between devices on a wifi network unless the network admin puts them in. Theoretically, you could block phones on your own network .. but why? Rooting your phone makes no difference whatsoever.

Data from the phone provider, though (ie, 3G/4G/EDGE) is absolutely governed by them and they can charge by the bit if they like. Rooting your phone won't help because the information they require is on your SIM .. if the SIM matches an account on their network, you get data; if it does not, you have no connection.

The only warning I'd offer is that smartphones are dangerously addictive. Every single person I know who claimed smartphones were useless was hooked within days of owning one.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:12 am 
Team Member*
Team Member*

Jipstyle wrote:
The only warning I'd offer is that smartphones are dangerously addictive. Every single person I know who claimed smartphones were useless was hooked within days of owning one.
I have seen that in person now! I got my wife a unlocked samsung S5230, not the smartest phone but a nice step up from a Moto krzr, she looked at it for 10 mins then put it down and didn't touch it again. By the end of the night she was trying everything she could on it. Go figure!