Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Carputer Question......
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:45 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Could having a computer in my car be as easy as installing this monitor into my dash:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... FgQ8wIwAg#

then into a full pc in my trunk???

Post subject: Re: Carputer Question......
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:38 am 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

You're probably looking at the wrong forum for this kind of advice. Honestly car forums will probably give better advice on a car PC setup than this forum. However, I do happen to know a thing or two about it. First, yes, as a general overview that would be a functional setup. But there are many things to take into consideration. What car is this that we're talking about? What kind of hardware setup do you want for the car PC? Do you want it to also be the sound output device instead of a stereo head unit? That requires a little work to get working together with a car audio system. A good place for the optical drive is also important, since the length of a SATA cable is pretty limited. Also, you want to use low power parts to limit the load on the car's battery. Physical size is also important. Where exactly are you going to put it? What will be the most convenient place the get the necessary wiring to the PC? The trunk will probably be a pain in the ass if you want it to be your sound system too, because of the aforementioned optical drive positioning issue and also because of where the wiring to the amp is the easiest to route. Lastly, power is a big issue. Car batteries put out 12VDC, that's it. You can transform it to 120VAC and then use a standard PSU, or you can just use some DC-DC converters to clean up the battery's DC and bring it down to the necessary 5V and 3.3V levels.