Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Smartphone?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:51 am 

So I'm looking to replace my old blackberry Curve since I now qualify for an update with Verizon. I don't think I'm interested into another blackberry. What are some smart phones you guys can recommend? I've been looking at the new Droids but I'm hesitant to get on the Droid train only to find something bigger and better is just around the corner. I realize technology is constantly going out of date, thats not what I'm saying. I just want you guys to point out if I'm missing anything obvious in the coming months of the mobile market and if it's worth waiting for any big smartphones. Any advice would be awesome, thanks.

James

Post subject: Re: Smartphone?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:06 pm 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

Soon, 4G is coming out w/ verizon around q4 '10 in cities with an NFL football team

link

get a droid with LTE when this happens.

Ted

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:30 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

I recently switched from an iPhone 3G to an HTC Desire (HTC Eris in the US, I believe) and I absolutely love it.

If you want to stay relatively current, get something that runs Android. The OS is updated and improved considerably more quickly than iOS has been. If you get something with a GHz CPU on board, you won't regret it. :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:01 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

I'm trying not to drool at the mention of smartphone and GHz in the same sentence..... :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:56 pm 

I propose this same question. My contract has finally run out and I figure there has to be some good phone deals this xmas. I'm still with Verizon. Appreciate any mobile related advice.

James

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:09 am 
Million Club
Million Club

The beautiful thing about buying an unlocked - albeit, expensive phone - is that you can go with whichever service provider has the features-for-price ratio you need.

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:12 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

thejake490 wrote:
The beautiful thing about buying an unlocked - albeit, expensive phone - is that you can go with whichever service provider has the features-for-price ratio you need.

.. provided they use the appropriate technology. Not all providers have 3G, 3G+, or 4G. Some use SIM-based phones, others don't.

Not all phones are compatible with all networks.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:52 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

Jipstyle wrote:
thejake490 wrote:

.. provided they use the appropriate technology. Not all providers have 3G, 3G+, or 4G. Some use SIM-based phones, others don't.

Not all phones are compatible with all networks.

Got to do your homework, of corpse. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:46 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

No doubt.

Just remember .. for a lot of people, asking here is doing research .. so we have to be careful how we answer questions.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:27 am 
Million Club
Million Club

Having read that from you, Jip, I must mention that my source for my Droid Blur was a very knowledgeable person with all the right tools. Not to defend myself, but to outline, you don't want to get someone to simply pop this garbled together interface, Jerry-rig it to your phone, and try not to burn it to a crisp with whatever he has at hand. There are specific hardware and software components - which I, unfortunately, know little about other than that it shouldn't look like he put it together in his mom's basement.

Bottom line: If the business you take your phone to to get it unlocked is legit and has been in business long enough to have a good customer base - say, 1~2 years at least, and with a few good reviews - that's the place you want.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:33 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

True. My point was just that your post about "about buying an unlocked - albeit, expensive phone - is that you can go with whichever service provider has the features-for-price ratio you need" is a bit misleading ... someone could take that to mean that they can buy any unlocked phone and use it on any service provider. ;)

Of course, if you pay someone else to unlock your phone, you'd hope they know what they're doing. I prefer to do it myself, because the hacking is half the fun. :)