Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: No internet access on HP Pavillion
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:02 pm 

Hello,
I recently got a virus off of an older HP Pavilion N5000 F3978AV. But now the internet does not work. I use a Belkin Wireless G Notebook Network Card. But when that did not work after tons of attempts I tried Plugging the Ethernet cable directly into the laptop but it still does not work. The Virus made internet access impossible if that's important. I'm using windows xp. But please help.
Edit: I always get this error at startup that says it cannot start swoepiit.dll and Yrrfoqtsynv.dll and then it says that windows has just recovers from a serous error.

Post subject: Re: No internet access on HP Pavillion
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:44 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

to start, the two DLL files that error on startup are most likely remnants of the previous infection. MalwareBytes Anti-Malware would be a good follow-up if you haven't already run it. next/or, open the run command and type "msconfig". then, go over to the startup tab, and uncheck the two items that are pointing to the two DLL files.

As for the no internet, when connected via wireless or wired, go to start->run... and type "cmd". when that opens, type "ping http://www.google.com". if you get a response, you're not doing too bad for problems. If not, I might have another idea, or someone else will. Hope this helps you.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:43 am 

Disabling the two .dll's worked but it still pops up "windows has recovered from a serious error". But I am still unable to access the internet. When I typed "ping http://www.google.com" into cmd it said that it can not find host http://www.google.com. But earlier when I checked in the internet connections it said it was enabled but when I double clicked it there was no default gateway and no DNS. So I manually configured it but still no internet. I haven't tried MalwareBytes Anti-Malware yet but I will soon and tell you the results.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:25 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

as for the ping result of could not find host, you need to remove the "http://".I thought I only typed "ping http://www.google.com". Sorry about that. However, if you are not getting a DNS or Gateway assigned, it won't work anyway.

do you have other computer(s) on the network that can get out through the router?
if so, try setting your IP configuration exactly the same but with your IP address one or two higher (ex instead of 192.168.1.100, 192.168.1.101) or something to that effect.

can you ping 127.0.0.1?
once you have a valid IP address:
can you ping this machines IP address?
can you ping another machines IP address?
can you ping the router?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:19 am 

I think I am able to ping 127.0.0.1 because it says "reply from 127.0.0.1 :bytes=32 time<1ms ttl=128" 4 times after saying "pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data." I'm not able to ping those other ip's or google.com except for my ip Wich does the same thing as the 127 one. And what about the WINS Server? That is also blank. And what should I use as the DNS servers? Right now I'm using openDNS. And I'm not sure if this is importent or not but before the adress type shows manuly configured it says invalid ip with the ip and others as all zeros. After showing that for a couple seconds it displays my manually configured stuff. And do you know what the swoepiit and yrrfoqtsynv.dll does? Because google turns up nothing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:45 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Since you are able to ping 127.0.0.1, your network stack is in working order.
Since you are able to ping your machines ip address, your network adapter is working.
I have always known the WINS server to be blank for the average person. Businesses may be different, but blank works for us.
DNS servers: should be autodetected, but openDNS should also be fine.
as for the all 0's for the first few seconds, that is fine. It takes a little time for the network card to enable, that's all.

the two .DLL files are infection files. they are randomly named, that's why google usually won't return a result for them.
since you got the error on startup they could not be found, they should be taken care of. I usually like to run a HijackThis scan to clean up some other things,
but that tool requires a good bit of knowledge and experience. If you know what you are doing, it can be a big help. If not, you can really screw up your system.

I would suggest uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers for your network card, but if wired and wireless won't work, I don't see a point to it.

Do you have any other machines on the network? do they have internet access ok?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:04 am 

The other machines and devices on the network can get on the Internet just fine. I'm thinking of reinstalling windows but I don't know where the recovery CDs are.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:55 pm 

besides what others said....i would pull up internet options,go to the advanced tab,and hit restore defaults.and then in the connections tap,under lan settings,make sure the "proxy settings are unchecked.(ive had a few viruses that checked this box,making the browser not connect ofcourse)

after that,restart your pc and go start pc in safe mode,usally by tapping f8 at pc company's logo,then run malwarebytes full scan....if found anything remove,then restart pc normally and see if you can get online.

if that does'nt work...I'de go in to device manager,and unistall network adapter,and restart pc....let windows reinstall...this helps "re-cummunicate" the hardware with windows.....you do have internet on other pc's if windows can't find the network driver

if you remove virus and can get online.....but still get .dll error's....i just run ccleaner....with most options checked(i don't scan free disk space) then i hit the registry tap.....and scan for errors,save back up file when it prompts you...then hit clear marked errors....then restart and see if i still get error....if so rinse,and repeat with ccleane:)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:57 am 

Thanks for your help. I figured it out a different way. I tried using the internet explorer diagnostics thing and it found a program webhancer and removed and now the internet works! I also saw an entry of that when I used Hijackthis.