Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Best Laptop for under $600.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:10 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Hey all, I have a freind who's father needs a new laptop.

Must be 17"+ (found 17.3" to be the most common.
$600 or less.

All he does is browse the internet, go on youtube, a plays solitaire.

http://www.buy.com/prod/toshiba-satelli ... 18547.html

http://www.pcrichard.com/catalog/produc ... yId=110020

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-AS7745-5 ... u=14642745

He found the one at PC Richard while I found the others. I'd rather not have to pay tax or rely on mail in rebates. My biggest question is whether he'd be better served by the Intel processor with Intel graphis or the AMD processor with the Radeon graphics. Please feel free to recommend your own options just keep in mind that we live in NJ so there is added 7% tax from newegg. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:48 am 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

When you said it must be 17"+, I assumed his dad worked with graphics. A 17" is going to be very bulky for the uses he wants to give it. Are you sure he can't live with a 15"? For his uses, it doesn't matter what laptop he gets. Just buy the cheapest 17" you can find.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:58 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Nope, just wants a desktop replacement but wants it to be a laptop, confined space. His eyes are going bad and wants the beefed up size. I got into resolutions with him and how a bigger screen doesn't mean bigger text size. I also let him know that on any size screen you could enlarge the text, etc. Long story short he still wants 17" and it's his money. I saw one more, I know there's tax but it's a great price. What do you think?

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/4 ... s-_-490146

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:10 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Perhaps he would be happier with an all-in-one pc? Something like this one. An all-in-one would give him a larger screen, but take up the same space as a laptop. It would probably also run a bit cooler and have a bit more power (go longer before bloatware slows it to a crawl) since I don't think that all-in-ones have mobile processors and graphics...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:34 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

He wants to be able to move it around every now again, move it next to the tv sometimes, etc. I'll also be doing a fresh install on the laptop as soon as it's unboxed, only reinstalling necessary drivers and such. I just don't want him to click that 720p video trailer and it to get choppy. Would the Radeon 4250 be more capable or the Intel 4500 graphics with an i3?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:04 am 
Willamette
Willamette

My netbook (Intel atom z520 with GMA500 which supports DXVA) will playback 720p video (haven't tested 720p flash stuff but it may work ok too) pretty well. Since adobe flash player now supports video acceleration, make sure that the graphics chipset that the laptop has supports DXVA (i'm pretty sure that both those chipsets do, but it wouldn't hurt to check). Also, most modern CPU's, even the cheap mobile ones, have plenty of power to playback 720p flash video without help from a graphics chip.