Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:11 am 
M-Powered
M-Powered
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:36 am
Posts: 2504
Location: Nürburgring
Jipstyle wrote:
There is really no reason to get your panties bunched just because random strangers on the Internet disagree with you ... develop a stronger sense of self.


Told. :mrgreen:


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:26 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:38 pm
Posts: 214
Colour me entirely unimpressed.

It's a large iPhone for most intents and purposes, and from what I've read and seen - nothing more.

The pricing is outlandish, in my opinion, for what you get as a device.

Using the iPhone OS is a step backwards for a device of this size and supposed capability. I mean, a "computer" that can't multi-task? I'm actually still surprised by Apple's choice to develop the iPhone OS years ago without multi-tasking capability; and then still continuing that practice into 2008.

There are MID devices that sell for much less and can do just as much (from what I understand), there are tablet PCs, and small laptops (netbooks, maybe) that feature touch screens that pivot around and let you hold the machine like a tablet.

Also, PM_DMNKLR, you need to get over the fact that people will disagree with you. You're not the only person on these forums who can form an opinion, although honestly, you seem to be much more like a sheep and less of an independent person. People will disagree with my thoughts, and I'll accept that and move on; I won't tell people they are blatantly wrong and that my interpretation of things is the only way it is.

I mean, come on, you can only be excited for something and not be critical? Anything white with an apple on it will be perfect? Grow up dude.

All of that said, I'll probably play with one if I come across an Apple store when I travel to the USA this March, just to see for myself; you know, hold it in my hands and either form a new opinion or reinforce my existing one.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:38 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:23 am
Posts: 24222
Location: Granite Heaven
For what it is worth .. both the iPhone and the iPhone OS are capable of multi-tasking ... Apple has chosen to disable that feature.

If you jailbreak the phone, you can enable multi-tasking.

The question, then, is why didn't Apple enable multi-tasking for this demo and will the iPad be capable of it on release?

For what it is worth, I think that the only reason that the iPad is being called a 'large iPhone' is because the apps that will truly make this device 'new' haven't been written yet. The iPhone was a 'neat' phone and not much more until the App Store was overloaded with hundreds of thousands of applications that turned the phone into the mini-revolution. I suspect that the iPad will be the same.

Although the hardware isn't as fast as a netbook, it does play video much better ... my netbook can't do H.264 without stuttering at a lower resolution and this device seems to do it seamlessly. My netbook also doesn't have a touch-IPS panel. Yum!

In the end, this launch reminds me very much of the launch of the iPhone. Most people saying 'meh', some people very excited, and lots of buzz. Come launch day, they'll fly off the shelves and when the iPad 2 is released, everyone will either want one or invent all kinds of reasons why they suck.

That's just my guess, though.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:00 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:22 pm
Posts: 27367
Location: In a cage, dumbass.
I'm going to get one for sure! First, they're cheap, and secondly, it will be fun as hell talking about how awesome it is in front of all of you.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:04 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:38 am
Posts: 7690
Spider Monkey wrote:
I'm going to get one for sure! First, they're cheap, and secondly, it will be fun as hell talking about how awesome it is in front of all of you.

That can go both ways. Do you want a bunch of people bragging to you how cool their netbooks are and how they're glad they didn't get an iPad? :P


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:15 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:23 am
Posts: 24222
Location: Granite Heaven
Spartacus wrote:
Spider Monkey wrote:
I'm going to get one for sure! First, they're cheap, and secondly, it will be fun as hell talking about how awesome it is in front of all of you.

That can go both ways. Do you want a bunch of people bragging to you how cool their netbooks are and how they're glad they didn't get an iPad? :P


Your opinion < my opinion.

This basic arithmetic relationship ensures that every thread goes my way, everything I buy is better than anything you buy, and that the iPad will be awesomer than your netbook.

Besides, I already HAVE a netbook. It is so 2009.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:18 pm 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:44 pm
Posts: 11242
Location: The kitten above is not on fire.
The fact that it doesn't ship with a stylus is completely irrelevant.

Its a touchscreen, you could use a stick as a stylus. I'm sure there will be fancy after market sticks and apps to take advantage of them.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:33 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:23 am
Posts: 24222
Location: Granite Heaven
gamerfreak wrote:
The fact that it doesn't ship with a stylus is completely irrelevant.

Its a touchscreen, you could use a stick as a stylus. I'm sure there will be fancy after market sticks and apps to take advantage of them.


Uh .. no .. you can't use a stick. The iPhone's touchscreen is capacitative. You need a stylus that the screen will register.

Since most people who use the iPhone are accustomed to multi-touch, few people ever both with a stylus ... multitouch with a stylus makes as much sense as a monkey with a keyboard.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:34 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:38 am
Posts: 7690
gamerfreak wrote:
The fact that it doesn't ship with a stylus is completely irrelevant.

Its a touchscreen, you could use a stick as a stylus. I'm sure there will be fancy after market sticks and apps to take advantage of them.

errr... actually, you can't. That's the reason the iPhone doesn't do random stuff while it's in your pocket. It's a capacitive touchscreen. A stick won't do anything but scratch it up. A metal object will trigger it though. So you could steal a metal-tipped stylus from a PDA, for example, and that should work.
EDIT @ Jip
1. Dang it! you beat me to it!
2. You can think what you like... but you're wrong. :P


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:40 pm 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:44 pm
Posts: 11242
Location: The kitten above is not on fire.
Excuse me, a stick with a metal tip. It makes sense for drawing/handwriting.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:41 pm 
Willamette
Willamette
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:59 pm
Posts: 1214
Location: Don't know still looking for "there"
Well here is a scenario for you.

I need to take a trip for a couple of weeks. I want to take a half dozen or so of my favorite videos (DVD's), a thumb drive with some private correspondence, and another thumb drive with my password manager on it. I feel a Star Trek movie-a-thon coming on ( I already own the things so I damn sure not going to pay a subscription to watch them).

Oh yeah I will most likely need to use a motel printer/scanner somewhere and print out some email attachments ( a couple of PDF's and Word documents) while I'm gone and save the pics I take while traveling so my memory card doesn't get full. Last but not least I want to keep in touch with the grand babies via Windows Live with video.

So, will the iPad do all that????


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:53 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:40 pm
Posts: 679
Location: In the hills of San Diego
Who gives a rats ass. It is an overpriced, oversized fucking iPod Touch!!!!
At most 64GB and you wont even be able to play many iPod touch games because who the hell wants to try and wave that big ass thing around the room.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:33 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:17 am
Posts: 2947
Location: in front of my pc
Xman wrote:
Who gives a rats ass. It is an overpriced, oversized fucking iPod Touch!!!!
At most 64GB and you wont even be able to play many iPod touch games because who the hell wants to try and wave that big ass thing around the room.


my sentiments exactly, though it would be mildly entertaining to watch the dumbass that decides to wave it around :P

too big to fit in my pocket, to slow to replace my laptop, and the lack of multi tasking would drive me nuts. the concept is great and i do like the 10 hours of battery life, however the hardware and software need to make it into the 21st century in terms of performance and usability. maybe if it makes it to gen 3 or gen 4, ill consider one


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:46 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:41 am
Posts: 11605
Spider Monkey wrote:
I'm going to get one for sure! First, they're cheap, and secondly, it will be fun as hell talking about how awesome it is in front of all of you.
Are you for srs? It is NOT cheap. It isn't cool. It is a piece of shit. Seriously? Apple screwed up on this one. I don't generally like their products, mostly because they are over priced... but I can admit that they have been making some good stuff. The iPad is NOT one of those things.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:14 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 2:47 am
Posts: 10158
Location: Between 32nd Notes
I love my iPhone but I don't think I would like the iPad.

It's too big to have with you 24/7 without some sort of carrying case. If you're going to have a carrying case then why not use it for a regular laptop or netbook that will run anything you want instead of only apps from the app store?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:55 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:23 am
Posts: 24222
Location: Granite Heaven
tugboat_2 wrote:
Well here is a scenario for you.

I need to take a trip for a couple of weeks. I want to take a half dozen or so of my favorite videos (DVD's), a thumb drive with some private correspondence, and another thumb drive with my password manager on it. I feel a Star Trek movie-a-thon coming on ( I already own the things so I damn sure not going to pay a subscription to watch them).

Oh yeah I will most likely need to use a motel printer/scanner somewhere and print out some email attachments ( a couple of PDF's and Word documents) while I'm gone and save the pics I take while traveling so my memory card doesn't get full. Last but not least I want to keep in touch with the grand babies via Windows Live with video.

So, will the iPad do all that????


No.

Neither will a desktop PC, an Xbox 360 or a toaster.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:57 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:23 am
Posts: 24222
Location: Granite Heaven
CrashTECH wrote:
Spider Monkey wrote:
I'm going to get one for sure! First, they're cheap, and secondly, it will be fun as hell talking about how awesome it is in front of all of you.
Are you for srs? It is NOT cheap. It isn't cool. It is a piece of shit. Seriously? Apple screwed up on this one. I don't generally like their products, mostly because they are over priced... but I can admit that they have been making some good stuff. The iPad is NOT one of those things.


:lol:

Tell me they've screwed up after we've seen the sales figures.

So far, all I've seen is people saying "Omg, this isn't useful for me and therefore it sucks."

Apple is here to solve all of your computing problems, people.

Personally, I hate flashy cases with lots of lights and windows .. but I don't go around saying that those cases suck. I buy a different case.

Somehow, though, when Apple releases a product, it is expected to be universally useful and perfect for everyone or it is utter fail.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:24 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:41 am
Posts: 11605
It is a big iPhone with less features. How is that useful?

A full laptop / normal tablet pc costs about the same and does more stuff. It isn't a matter of being useful to me (I don't need a tablet) it is a matter of it not being worth the Apple tax.

I am sure it is going to sell like hotcakes, I have no doubt of that. There are enough people that will want to pay the premium... They screwed up because they screwed up a chance for me to buy one of their products. Right now the only thing that I consider to be of value that they sell is the iPhone and the iPod (nano). Everything else is over priced and under performing.

If I were to pay $2500 for a Mac Pro, it should beat my $1500 desktop pc. It doesn't do much more than equal it for features, cost $1000 more, and doesn't come with two 22" screens like my desktop did.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:01 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:23 am
Posts: 24222
Location: Granite Heaven
CrashTECH wrote:
It is a big iPhone with less features. How is that useful?


Less features? Other than making phone calls and taking shitty pictures, is it missing anything important?

Quote:
A full laptop / normal tablet pc costs about the same and does more stuff. It isn't a matter of being useful to me (I don't need a tablet) it is a matter of it not being worth the Apple tax.


Apple tax? $500 for an IPS-touchscreen based device is a damn good price.

Quote:
I am sure it is going to sell like hotcakes, I have no doubt of that. There are enough people that will want to pay the premium... They screwed up because they screwed up a chance for me to buy one of their products. Right now the only thing that I consider to be of value that they sell is the iPhone and the iPod (nano). Everything else is over priced and under performing.


On a corporate level, they didn't screw anything up .. at least, we won't know until we see sales reports.

Am I the only person here who realises that (a) most MPCers are not the target market, and (b) this is not a laptop or even netbook replacement?

This is a leisure device. It is for sitting on the couch and reading the paper, or reading a novel on your way to work, or comfortably surfing the web in your favourite armchair. This is a media-interaction device designed for comfort .. not speed, not performance and not productivity. It is a new way of bringing digital media to your fingertips.

This of it like an iPod touch with a Kindle thrown in and a decently sized screen ... for not much more than a Touch.

This isn't the device you'd take on a business trip .. it is the device that you can see a certain monkey, lounging amidst his terra cotta in his back yard, surfing the web and mocking poor people.

Also a fantastic device for porn, btw.

Quote:
If I were to pay $2500 for a Mac Pro, it should beat my $1500 desktop pc. It doesn't do much more than equal it for features, cost $1000 more, and doesn't come with two 22" screens like my desktop did.


I really would rather not derail this conversation with an Apple-sucks discussion of their entire product line.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:56 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:48 am
Posts: 194
Location: Detroit
maxx wrote:
No Flash support.
No GPS.
No Camera.
No USB.
No Flash support.
No stylus / handwriting recognition.
No SD card slot.
No .mkv support (probably)

Oh and no friggin Flash, so how can this be "the best web experience ever"

Gotta be a real mactard to buy this.


And do not forget the name. iPAd? This some feminine hygiene product? I was not to sold on it to begin with, but after seeing this Mad TV skit I will wait for the Lenovo U1 to launch in June instead - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eF0y0IfpPU


Top
  Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group