Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:51 pm 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

Anyone else think the name "iPad" is a bit too feminine?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:51 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

gamerfreak wrote:

At first I thought Jip was posting a parody apple product. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:55 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Jipstyle wrote:
Lack of flash .. I'll be shocked if that isn't addressed by launch. The iPhone has it ..

Since when is Flash available for the iPhone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:07 pm 
M-Powered
M-Powered

Ya comon, if you know something we don't, spill it. I want to play my Machinarium (best flash game evar, btw) on the iphone...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:20 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

CrashTECH wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:
Why would you expect a camera or GPS on a device that doesn't fit in your pocket?
Why should I *not* expect it?

I have GPS and a Camera on my phone. it is a phone. It fits in my pocket. They have room for it in the iPad cuz they have it in the iPhone. It isn't a huge chip for either feature.

But this isn't a phone!?

I agree with Maxx that it would be nice to have a front-facing webcam-style camera ... that'd fit the application.

GPS *is* available on the iPad if you get the 3G version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:28 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

maxx wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:
Why would you expect a camera or GPS on a device that doesn't fit in your pocket?

Front facing camera for Skype or Google Talk. GPS because with unlimited 3G data, google earth/maps based navigation with a large high res screen would be nothing short of fucking awesome.

The front-facing camera would be cool for both those things, I suppose. I have one on my netbook. I don't use it, mind you, so this isn't an issue for me .. but I can see how it fits the product.

GPS is available with the 3G model. It is the same GPS as found in your iPhone and most cell phones .. meaning, it'll do but it isn't great. I prefer using an external GPS unit with bluetooth connectivity. ;)

Quote:
Jipstyle wrote:
Lack of flash .. I'll be shocked if that isn't addressed by launch. The iPhone has it .. they run the same apps .. and Apple knows that it is necessary for an ideal (or even average) web experience.

Despite owning one, Flash on the iPhone is news to me... Please, where can I download it? Safari won't let me install the Adobe plugin.

Right. Sorry, this was my mistake. I have flash on my iPhone and I forgot that it is not a native app. You can install it through Cydia or Rock.

Quote:
Jipstyle wrote:
Stylus / handwriting .. meh .. I haven't written anything longer than a note to my gf or signing cheques since I left school. Not important to me.

All tablets have it, and it's not just for writing, it's awesome for drawing, designing...

Sure .. and if you want that, you're out of luck. Like I said, it isn't important to me.

Quote:
Jipstyle wrote:
As for .mkv ... well, lacking one container format isn't going to kill me. I haven't even seen mkv since I stopped watching anime.

Every HD TV show and movie I download (I don't watch realtime TV anymore) is MKV encapsulated H.264, which represents about 150~300GB a month for me. It would be really nice if I could transfer those files to this device like I can with my notebook and tablet PC.
[/quote]

Well, again, if they don't support that, I guess you're out of luck.

This product does a lot of what I want and at a price that I can afford .. none of which makes me a 'mactard'.

The disadvantages that *I* see with the product:
    Lack of native Flash. I'll have to wait for it to be jailbroken ... probably take weeks.
    Battery. Again, Apple screws us with batteries that the user can not replace.
    Lack of multitasking. This may or may not be an issue .. depends on the use to which you put the device.
    Lack of expandable storage / memory. Apple really needs to stop this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:32 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Satchboy wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:
Lack of flash .. I'll be shocked if that isn't addressed by launch. The iPhone has it ..

Since when is Flash available for the iPhone?

Errr ... 2008 ... unless you're locked to the App Store.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:54 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

What about HTML5? Since youtube will be using it, most everyone else may switch over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:58 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

HellFighter_06 wrote:
What about HTML5? Since youtube will be using it, most everyone else may switch over.

Your optimism is refreshing. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:01 pm 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

HellFighter_06 wrote:

lol....thats a gross overstatement. Youtube has implemented it, but it only works in Chrome and on videos with no advertising or tags.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:20 pm 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

gamerfreak wrote:

NPR feels the same way.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconside ... c=fb&cc=fp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:07 pm 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsjU0K8QPhs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:10 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Ok, here's my take. Please note I haven't actually read the whole thing.

I think this will take off.

Pricing for the initial release is GREAT! Yes, I think the pricing is too high, but I would expect those prices at the first price drop, NOT the initial release.

I don't like the hardware specs, but like the fact that it'll run most apps in the app store, and the battery life. It's all a trade-off.

I'm sure the hardware is capable of multi-tasking, just like the iphone. Maybe some unauthorized apps would take advantage of that.

I can see this taking the place of a Kindle and a netbook.

Will you be able to use voip (skype or whatever) over 3G? $30/mo for unlimited voice/data would be awesome.

Like it or hate it, it's the next big thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:16 pm 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

http://failblog.org/2010/01/27/name-fail-photoshop-win/

AJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:41 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

So... why didn't you guys just go here? Wow, I gotta think that some people would go to the BEST place for info rather than speculative sites first. It's gonna be awesome, simple as that. Read up on it, check it out, like it or not, it's coming and I want one bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:44 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

PM_DMNKLR wrote:
Wow, I gotta think that some people would go to the BEST place for info rather than speculative sites first. It's gonna be awesome, simple as that. Read up on it, check it out, like it or not, it's coming and I want one bad.

I'm sure apple is gladly going to post up criticism of the tablet on their site too...
You don't go to the manufacturer's site for unbiased info on a product. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:14 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Waitaminute, I smell something awry here, 3 of my posts/threads that someone has commented negatively on just to do it. Hmm... Btw, Jip, lol, I didn't post mine in the Hardware Haven knowing this one existed, but I saw this about a half hour after mine went up. I figured the Hardware Haven is where it should go, lol, so I put mine there. (For anyone) going to any site that is not the official product launch site before a product can even be reviewed before or after release is called "speculative investigation" and thus is pointless. There's no reason to get panties in a wad over speculation on anything before it's released and reviewed. Just wait 2 months and you'll have a reason to not get upset or to get upset. I for one am excited.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:47 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

Eh. I generally dislike Apple products. This is probably the Apple product I actually don't detest, as it has a reasonable price and some nice features.

However, I still don't like it. First off, they are running the Iphone OS on that thing, instead of their OSX, so it will not be anything like a netbook. It will, as bingojubes said, just be a big Iphone. I already didn't want an Iphone, so having kindle dx-sized smartphone without any phone functionality seems a bit... odd.

Secondly, it's price is, well, oddly enough it's too high, despite what I just said. Why would I pay $600, when I can just get an Eee T91 for $500, and it has Windows 7 and supports all sorts of computery things?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:47 pm 
team psycho or sumthin
team psycho or sumthin

I'm massively unimpressed.

The only thing I would ever use it for would be ebooks and by the looks of it, one would have to use an apple service to get them.

No fucking thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:49 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

PM_DMNKLR wrote:
Waitaminute, I smell something awry here, 3 of my posts/threads that someone has commented negatively on just to do it. Hmm... Btw, Jip, lol, I didn't post mine in the Hardware Haven knowing this one existed, but I saw this about a half hour after mine went up. I figured the Hardware Haven is where it should go, lol, so I put mine there. (For anyone) going to any site that is not the official product launch site before a product can even be reviewed before or after release is called "speculative investigation" and thus is pointless. There's no reason to get panties in a wad over speculation on anything before it's released and reviewed. Just wait 2 months and you'll have a reason to not get upset or to get upset. I for one am excited.

So you can get excited over speculation, but not upset or not not upset? Huh.

BTW, the link that the rest of us were commenting on was from Apple's launch .. pictures and quotes from the official launch of the product. We aren't 'speculating' ... we're discussing the features presented by Apple.

Speculation: I suspect (hope) that iPhone OS4 will be ready quickly and will include multitasking for the iPad.

There is really no reason to get your panties bunched just because random strangers on the Internet disagree with you ... develop a stronger sense of self.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next