Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New laptop, complete Windows reinstall?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:39 pm 

I've read a lot of times about the best way to maximize performance in a new notebook, from uninstalling trial software with PCDecrapifier to a complete fresh reinstall of Windows. So now I've got a new laptop and I wanted to know how I should go about a fresh install of Windows 7. There's no Windows install disc so how do I perform the reinstall? Also, I know there's specific Windows settings for laptops like the option to choose what happens when you close the lid (standby, hibernate, shut down, nothing) and the power settings when plugged in or not, etc. Would a new install of Windows completely wipe out those settings?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:36 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

You could decrap your laptop. But you're right it's best to fresh install win7 the right way. If no install disc, then the files are on a hidden partition. Just burn them in iso mode to a DVD or better still, a USB key.

Once installed, you can set all your power settings and lappy features in less than 50 seconds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:25 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Your power setting will revert to the default 7 ones. You would have to manually change them yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:10 pm 

What I meant was that there are specific power options on notebooks that are different from desktops. On my notebook there are specific settings on what happens if I close the laptop lid or how the brightness of the screen varies if the laptop is plugged in or not. On my desktop, no such settings exist. So if I do a complete reinstall of Windows on my laptop will those notebook specific settings disappear or will they stay there (which confuses me because how would Windows know if the computer is a notebook or a desktop)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:49 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Most Desktops won't be running off of batteries. :P Anything specific that you changed will be gone. Just go back to the Battery Icon and select Power Options. From there you can edit or make a custom profile for different level of needs.