Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Alright, I've temperarly made up my mind
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:49 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I really like the specs of the Alien ware 7700 and the specs of the Pro-Star 9096. 256 PCIE kicks ass... 17" viewable, what’s not love?
Well... the size for one. It’s not the fact that the weight is 10+ lbs, its all that spare room between the bottom of the "keyboard" and the front (front in my perspective would be the edge closest to you)

My main reason for making this post is to ask some question that you guys may or may not know. I like the fact that the AW 7700 and the PS 9096 has PCIE. When can i expect that in a smaller notebook? I’m just uneasy spending a bunch of money on a notebook with AGP 8x yah know?

My second question is directed to all the people who own the 10 lbs behemoths. How much of a pain is it? I've heard from someone that they take it to work everyday, but do you lay it on a desk? I'm going to be going from class to class and mobility is going to be an issue.

Thanks for the input.

(side note: no offence, but does anyone know of a notebookers forum that is a little more.... how can i say this... more active then this one?)

Post subject: Re: Alright, I've temperarly made up my mind
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:42 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

Bahama.Llama wrote:
I really like the specs of the Alien ware 7700 and the specs of the Pro-Star 9096. 256 PCIE kicks ass... 17" viewable, what’s not love?
Well... the size for one. It’s not the fact that the weight is 10+ lbs, its all that spare room between the bottom of the "keyboard" and the front (front in my perspective would be the edge closest to you)

My guess is that they squeezed the two HDDs, the TV tuner, the RAM, the miniPCI WiFi/Bluetooth card, and two of the four speakers between the front of the laptop and the keyboard.

The only problem with that is that if you're wearing a watch there's a bit of a tendency to scratch off the paint a bit. It's not all that much, and I've only scratched a bit off mine but a bit of black nail polish will cover it right up again. Black sharpie markers work too but wear off after about two weeks.

Bahama.Llama wrote:
My main reason for making this post is to ask some question that you guys may or may not know. I like the fact that the AW 7700 and the PS 9096 has PCIE. When can i expect that in a smaller notebook? I’m just uneasy spending a bunch of money on a notebook with AGP 8x yah know?

It would be nice to see it on some of the smaller Pentium M based machines but I don't think they can engineer those laptops to keep the entire system cool without increasing the physical size of the system. Also the other problem is energy consumption.

I suspect some of the lower clocked Radeon 9700 Mobility chips also suck up less power then the x800 Mobility which would make them more desirable in the Pentium M based systems which are engineered from the ground up with battery life in mind.

Bahama.Llama wrote:
My second question is directed to all the people who own the 10 lbs behemoths. How much of a pain is it? I've heard from someone that they take it to work everyday, but do you lay it on a desk? I'm going to be going from class to class and mobility is going to be an issue.

I take mine to work everyday, toss it on my desk, and plug it into the wall and leave it there for several hours while it crunches work units for F@H.

Back in school myself and a bunch of my friends all had laptops but we never took them to class ever. It was much easier taking regular notes and/or recording lectures via tape/MD/mp3/ipod/etc. The only time we did actually bring them into class was to plug them into a data projector to give presentations via powerpoint.

The laptops were extremely handy in the libraries when we'd all claim a table and hog up the nearest A/C outlet while writing up our business plans and thesis papers.

Bahama.Llama wrote:
(side note: no offence, but does anyone know of a notebookers forum that is a little more.... how can i say this... more active then this one?)

None taken :)

http://notebookforums.com/

Post subject: ARGH
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:04 am 
Team Member
Team Member

:evil: Now I'm not sure anymore! This bites :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:34 pm 

Take your time, it's a big purchase, or at least I think so.

I've been shopping around for a new laptop since 2003, but nothing quite meets my demands yet. A dual core 64-bit Intel chip would be a good start though :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:55 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

thanks flytrap... even thought it took some talking to the admins to get them to sign me up because my only e-mail client is free :-) Im in though. Thanks again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:30 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

Have you looked at the laptops by Cyber Power or I Buy Power?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:38 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Blondie wrote:
Have you looked at the laptops by Cyber Power or I Buy Power?

as a matter a fact i havn't. Thanks for the tips, I will deff. check 'em out