Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Computer Programming At Wright State
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:48 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Hello,

I am planning to go to Wright State to learn how to become a computer programmer and need some advice. Basically, I've gotten a lot of resistance from family members telling me that programming isn't going to be a walk in the park. I myself am not fooling myself, as I realize that it will not be, either; however, something has come up that is worrying me a bit. I'm not the greatest mathematician of my age, and I'm not fooling myself on it. I would like to know just how much math is generally involved with programming, and what it mainly focuses on... Algebra, etc. It's a subject I've very fascinated with, as I've wanted to learn how to do programming for a long time... Basically, I'm just worried that I won't have the smarts to pull it off in the math portion..

Thanks

Tyler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:37 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Programming is applied mathematics. They go together hand-in-glove.

Having said that, most professional software developers don't use a lot of math in their day-to-day work. The people who design the software (software architects) and the senior developers do, but I'd say at least half of the devs don't.

So .. if you don't mind joining a discipline knowing that you'll never excel, you could probably make out ok .. if you can get through the schooling.

Review the courses required for your chosen degree. You don't have the vocabulary yet to understand, but if you post the required maths courses here, I can give you a quick description of them.

Have you taken calculus and finite math (number theory) courses yet? If so, how did you do? Most importantly, how much effort did you put in? Be honest .. if you worked your butt off to get a C in high school Calc, you shouldn't go into this discipline. If you didn't work at it and managed to pass, we don't really know your potential.

Post subject: Re: Computer Programming At Wright State
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:19 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I Jedi wrote:
Hello,

I am planning to go to Wright State to learn how to become a computer programmer and need some advice. Basically, I've gotten a lot of resistance from family members telling me that programming isn't going to be a walk in the park. I myself am not fooling myself, as I realize that it will not be, either; however, something has come up that is worrying me a bit. I'm not the greatest mathematician of my age, and I'm not fooling myself on it. I would like to know just how much math is generally involved with programming, and what it mainly focuses on... Algebra, etc. It's a subject I've very fascinated with, as I've wanted to learn how to do programming for a long time... Basically, I'm just worried that I won't have the smarts to pull it off in the math portion..

Thanks

Tyler

If its something your passionate about, don't let anyone stop you or tell you your "potential". No one knows your potential. I doubt you know your own potential.

But, how do you know your passionate about programming?

Have you talked to any programmers?

Have you done any programming?

If your going to college anyways, you have a year to figure out what you want to do before your taking programming classes. I would think in that time you could get a couple programming books and try doing it yourself.

And if you end up loving it, great. If you don't, you could always go another direction.