Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Personal opinions on Devry?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:55 am 

i did a search but it wasnt informative..

Im pretty sure im going to devry, ill be doing my own studies once i acquire some books..

has anyone here gone to devry?

im going to a community college first. aiming more for art than other stuff, but im definitely interested in every aspect of computers.

ill probably be getting my A+ soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:54 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

I thought DeVry was kind of like ITT. I haven't attended either, but I do know a bit about colleges. Schools like these aren't really colleges or universities. They're career schools, basically. They teach you what you need to know about a given career, and help you get the skills to get an entry-level job in that field. It's a quick way to get into your field, but the quickest way isn't usually the best.

It's my understanding that most hiring managers would much rather see you went to a State university rather than one of these career schools. It shows that you've had an interest in your career choice for at least 4 years as opposed to 1 or 1.5, it shows that you actually know more than the job you're doing (IT is a perfect example. It's a lot more than just knowing about computers.), and that you didn't just take the easy road.

Also, it just looks better on paper, and that's what most HR departments care about. You could be great at the job you're applying for, but most decent jobs won't look at you without a real degree. Devry might get you where you want to go, but you're better off going to a community college for the first 2 years, and then going the rest of the way at a state university.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:16 am 

thanks for the advice.. ill definitely keep that in mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:21 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

I have worked with several Devry graduates over the years and they are well thought of in the industry. That being said Linux guy is at least partially right. A degree from a state university is usually "more" well thought of. Unless the person making the hiring decision is a Devry graduate. A degree gets you the interview.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:32 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

A degree also gives you more leverage when negotiating salary and benefits. I started 10k/year higher than my co-worker in the same position because I have more education than he does .. our work experience is about equal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:05 am 

Actually, Devry is not so much like ITT anymore. They used to be an Institution but now they are a University. The only reason that people can graduate there in 3 years rather than 4 is because they go through an accelerated program. The semesters are 8 weeks long rather than 16. Just to warn you the accelerated program is going to still cover all of the matierial in the 16 week program. They require all of the general education requirements now too just like any state college. I am currently going to Devry and can say that I have honestly been impressed with most of my instructors so far. I am not going to persuade you to go any college. That is a personal decision. Just find out what all courses are required for the degree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:26 am 
Spam Overload
Spam Overload

I don't have personal experience but one of my friends has done grad from DeVry University. Never heard of any negative responses from him. He was quite satisfied with the faculty, course material, their instant response, online help and all.

Post subject: I hate that place
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:43 am 

I went in to talk to a person at DeVry and she was a absolute bitch. I left and never looked back.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]