Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: which college do you recomend?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:53 am 
Klamath
Klamath

first let me explain what i want to do. i want to go into IT, doing computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering, microprocessing enginering and everything around those. that would be my undergraduate degree. for my graduate degree i would like a teachnical management type of degree. (not sure if that's what they call it).
ill be attending college in new jersey and here are my choices. going from what the schools i like to the ones that are okay. i dont really like transferring after my undergraduate, but if its that much better than please tell me.
1st- rutgers new brunswick (not the one in newark or campen)
2nd- njit
3rd- montclair
4th- rowen
5th- devry
6th- drew
and thats all i can think of right now, what other good colleges are there in new jersey not including princeton.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:28 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

DeVry will not get you into a graduate program worth attending. Otherwise, I've no clue about NJ local colleges.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:38 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

Usually, a community college is a good start, then transfer into a state university. After that, the list of schools with graduate degrees in what you're looking for gets drastically shorter, which is good for selection purposes.

For now, just worry about getting your General Education out of the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:07 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

A community college won't get you into grad school.

A state school might if it has a good reputation.

Unlike employers, who are generally happy with a degree, getting a grad school to accept you requires excellent grades from a very well-known school.

It is easier to make 6 figures the day after you graduate than it is to get into a decent grad program.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:12 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

Jipstyle wrote:

Unlike employers, who are generally happy with a degree, getting a grad school to accept you requires excellent grades from a very well-known school.

It is easier to make 6 figures the day after you graduate than it is to get into a decent grad program.

Would time at a community college matter to a grad-school if you went from Joe Blow Community College to University of the Hamptons or something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:41 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

that Linux guy wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:

Would time at a community college matter to a grad-school if you went from Joe Blow Community College to University of the Hamptons or something?

It depends. You have to remember that every decent grad position has dozens if not hundreds of people competing for that single spot.

Going to community college and then transferring to a better school is a great way to ease your way into a difficult degree stream. However, if you're competing with someone who went from HS straight to MIT with a scholarship ... you don't stand a chance of getting the spot.

Having said all of that, I flunked out of my first year of university .. I had to beg for readmittance and had to work my way back into the honour's programme. Despite that, I landed the grad school of my choice for my Master's with a full scholarship and a federal grant. I did it by pulling my grades up to an A average (including the failed year), had 2 papers published as an undergrad and presented 3 papers at conferences .. all before I got my BA.

I'm saying that any approach can work .. but some are considerably more difficult than others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:46 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

Jipstyle wrote:
that Linux guy wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:

It depends. You have to remember that every decent grad position has dozens if not hundreds of people competing for that single spot.

Going to community college and then transferring to a better school is a great way to ease your way into a difficult degree stream. However, if you're competing with someone who went from HS straight to MIT with a scholarship ... you don't stand a chance of getting the spot.

Having said all of that, I flunked out of my first year of university .. I had to beg for readmittance and had to work my way back into the honour's programme. Despite that, I landed the grad school of my choice for my Master's with a full scholarship and a federal grant. I did it by pulling my grades up to an A average (including the failed year), had 2 papers published as an undergrad and presented 3 papers at conferences .. all before I got my BA.

I'm saying that any approach can work .. but some are considerably more difficult than others.

Good point. I've given thought to grad school in my future, but I'd rather focus more on getting a good job and finishing a BA. Hell, even just starting one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:53 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Always take it one step at a time, my friend. :) Just make sure that every step is as perfect as you can make it. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:09 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Jipstyle wrote:
Always take it one step at a time, my friend. :) Just make sure that every step is as perfect as you can make it. :D

going into a community college is out of the question! even thinking of one is out of the questions! my parrents would kill me the second i finsihing saying community.
but whats the best college in that list?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:32 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Higher education is about research.

I'm not being facetious when I say that you need to learn to do it yourself.

What do you know about each school? How do they rank nationally? What are their respective graduation and post-grad employment rates?

All of these questions are things you need to start thinking about .. and learning how to find out.

Honestly, I don't know much about american colleges. I'm Canadian, and though I spent over a decade collecting degrees, I've never studied in the US ... though I considered both Berkeley and Cornell at one point.

My point is that you need to learn to start googling and answering your own questions. The benefit of this forum is finding someone who has attended one of those schools .. barring that, we can't really tell you anything about those schools that you can't find online.

Now .. if someone has been to one of those schools .. that would be interesting. :)

Start by visiting each school's website and reading up on the programs that they offer. Ask us for clarification .. there is a lot of knowledge here about the types of courses you will probably be taking.

BTW .. it sounds like you want an MBA after your undergrad.

If gamerfreak pops into this thread, he might be useful ... he is planning a similar educational stream.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:55 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Jipstyle wrote:
Higher education is about research.

I'm not being facetious when I say that you need to learn to do it yourself.

What do you know about each school? How do they rank nationally? What are their respective graduation and post-grad employment rates?

All of these questions are things you need to start thinking about .. and learning how to find out.

Honestly, I don't know much about american colleges. I'm Canadian, and though I spent over a decade collecting degrees, I've never studied in the US ... though I considered both Berkeley and Cornell at one point.

My point is that you need to learn to start googling and answering your own questions. The benefit of this forum is finding someone who has attended one of those schools .. barring that, we can't really tell you anything about those schools that you can't find online.

Now .. if someone has been to one of those schools .. that would be interesting. :)

Start by visiting each school's website and reading up on the programs that they offer. Ask us for clarification .. there is a lot of knowledge here about the types of courses you will probably be taking.

BTW .. it sounds like you want an MBA after your undergrad.

If gamerfreak pops into this thread, he might be useful ... he is planning a similar educational stream.

i know how all the colleges in my list rank and i have toured njit and rutgers, but i need some comments about them. i can't always trust the internet. im thinking of going to drew for a tour in august.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:47 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

You can't trust the internet, yet your asking us? OK...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:57 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

guoruiwu1994 wrote:

Real people, who (usually) have no reason to make a particular school look good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:39 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

longhorn19 wrote:
guoruiwu1994 wrote:

Real people, who (usually) have no reason to make a particular school look good.

I was joking, I was just pointing out the fact that we are communicating through the internet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:22 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

guoruiwu1994 wrote:
longhorn19 wrote:
guoruiwu1994 wrote:

I was joking, I was just pointing out the fact that we are communicating through the internet.

you guys have no reason to tell me to go to this school for a advertising reason unless your being a dick after i post this reply. there are alot of people on this site who have gone to college and is working right now, thats why i ask you guys.
when ever i go to a site either then collegeboard.com its all marketing and telling me how great this school is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:23 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Thats what I said Oriental.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:06 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

longhorn19 wrote:
Thats what I said Oriental.

It is also what I said. :lol:

For someone who has done so much research and whose mummy and daddy won't let him go to community college, I'm still wondering why DeVry was on the list. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:21 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

DeVry is the only school name I recognize, but that's because there'e probably a minimum of 3 campuses per state. They're like ITT, but less Tech. Here in Michigan, we have Davenport university, which markets that they only have programs for the fields "where all the high-paying jobs are; Business, Technology, and Health care." Any school that advertises this is a bull-shit school more than likely, and just jumping on a bandwagon of the 3 sectors that are reporting slow but steady growth.

Take a look at the other schools, and check out other sources like this one....

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandrevie ... th-search/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:10 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

that Linux guy wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:

This is what I did - comm college then University. Thinking about grad school. Don't think I would have a problem getting accepted but grad school isn't high on my list of priorities.

Post subject: A School
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:55 am 

You indicate that you want to work in the technical fields. Do some research into what major would cover the job you would like to have.
Look for a school that you enjoy the campus and the personality of.
If Drew is at the bottom of your list, then you should be set.
Devry takes a non-traditional approach to education, and this could be a possible road block to grad school.
Find a school that has a couple of majors in fields you would enjoy, and a school where you enjoy the lifestyle.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next