Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Foreign Languages
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:36 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

If this is not the correct place/forum to post this, please tell me. I only ask because MaximumPC obviously specializes in personal computers.

Anyways.

Does anyone have experience with learning foreign languages. What are some great books to start of with or use. Are there any online resources to help me? I want to learn quite a few:
1.French
2.German
3.Italian
4.Spanish

I took French for two years in high school, and went to France. 10 different cities ending with a meal at Altitude 95 on the Eiffel Tower.

Now I'm lost, and Amazon is less then helpful with weeding out good and great books.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:40 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

The Berlitz courses are widely recognised and used by diplomats and others who need to become fluent in another language as quickly as possible.

Immersion is the best way to learn any language .. if you can't do that, a Berlitz course with CDs or DVDs that allow you to hear native speakers is your next best course of action.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:12 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

That's awesome. My parents have this old Berlitz book that I am borrowing right now. 1985 printing. My moms friend from overseas came over a couple summers ago and I talked to the son, and he helped me a bit. Thanks for the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:57 pm 

I'm studying German, so I can help a bit with that. Check out your local library, see what kind of resources they have there. Mine had Berlitz Rush Hour German, so I picked it up for some extra practice while driving, and it's pretty good. Check on the web as well, I've been studying at this site: http://german.about.com/

I also found a program for my phone to review German nouns, which is handy because German nouns have three genders and it's best to learn each noun with it's gender. Go on Youtube and look up shows in the language you want to learn to get used to hearing the language spoken. I recommend Bullyparade, that's a great German comedy show, try not to emulate they way they speak too much though, they use Bavarian accents. You don't want to sound like a drunk, do you?! :lol: