Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: what is the correct degree?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:21 pm 

hello, here is my predicament... i am currently enrolled into university of Cinncinati's electrical engineering program but have started to develop a interest in computer programming. given that there is no computer software engineering degree, and that most of today's programmers have some sort of computer science degree. Is my major relative enough so that i would be able to get a job in the future as a programmer? if i kept my current major and simply minored in computer science? or should i just switch my major to computer science? furthermore, what could i do to begin learning on programming before college? ideally i would like to be good enough to create my own programs. thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:44 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

My boss (who leads three development teams) has a degree in English.

I only had two degrees in English when I started in IT.

You'll be able to work in the field with a degree in EE ... but it will be more difficult than with a degree in CS / Math.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:32 pm 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

FWIW, many employers for technical positions often might ask for a degree in CS or similar, but I'm sure any techincal degree will suffice. It's not like you're a programmer with a degree in Anthropology or Music. Then you might have an issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:45 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

FYI, a lot of people have degrees that have nothing to do with their current jobs. In terms of programming, you don't need a CS degree. It does make life easier in terms of understanding the underlying principles though.

I'd at least check out the requirements for adding CS as a minor. Especially check on the math. That is usually the hardest for people to get into.

Programmingwise, study books on algorithms, boolean/set theory, and problem solving. Worry about languages later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:57 pm 

hey thanx for all the input. i appreciate the advice jcollins.

I know the math concepts will be important down the road. But do you know any books or resources that could give me a baseline for programming concepts? one of the reasons im considering programming as a minor is that I think it would go well with my electrical engineering major. if electrical engineering concerns building/designing circuit boards then im guessing it would be even better to have an understanding of how to communicate with that hardware. i know it has something to do with 1s and 0s but I would like to know a little bit more than that. thanx for the help :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:27 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

EE with a minor in CS will definitely land you an interesting job! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:51 am 
Spam Overload
Spam Overload

Comp sc. degree would result in good job prospects. It’s better if you learn skills besides your studies. It would help you to appear in interviews and other tests required for job.