Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Hello, need advice for a career
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:25 am 

First i would like to say hi i am new to this forum. I am currently in 12th grade and need help on what path i should go in the IT field. The problem is the only thing i like to do fix computers. But there is a problem with this field. PC techs don't make a lot of money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:40 am 
Professional Dork
Professional Dork

A bachelor's degree in MIS is the way to go. Most business schools offer such degrees. If you can specialize in something like security, you'll be setting yourself up to make some nice coin.

But you raise a few other issues. First, is money going to make you happy? As my hero Harvey Mackay once said: "Find something you love to do and you'll never work a day in your life." Think about what you really want. I myself walked away from a 60k job in IT to be a dirt nerd (Civil Engineer) and I love every minute of it. Second, yeah, you might start out as a tech, but don't look at that as your destination, but part of the path that will define a successful IT career. You're starting out fine, by trying to define your future, and if you continue to map out where you're going and stick to it, the money will come on its own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:47 am 

I dont think pc techs make enough money to support a family and pay bills.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:50 am 
Professional Dork
Professional Dork

GreenBulge wrote:
I dont think pc techs make enough money to support a family and pay bills.

Depends. Where you live, where you work, your benefits, your spouse's job, that sort of thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:29 am 

i live in CT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:54 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Working in the IT Tech field myself, I can relate to knowing that I don't make that much money. However for my personal needs right now it's enough to suffice.

I think what you might want to look into would be an engineering degree. It gives you the chance to work with hardware, but just at a more intense level. Actually designing the layout of the boards, things of that nature.

However, if you're like me you may work in the field for a while, and determine its not what you like doing for a career, and only like doing it as a hobby. I'm personally about to start school to get a degree in forensic psychology. It's just one of those things. Gotta learn by doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:15 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

Green, I was in the same situation a few years ago. When I first got an interest in computers, my only interest was in building and fixing. I scored a temp job at Best Buy, and later at PC Club computers (West coast chain). If you haven't done it much yet, getting a job at a retail shop fixing PCs isn't a bad job. $10/hr while your friends are bagging groceries for minimum wage isn't bad, right? However, it gets old. Very old. Fast. I love working with computer as much as anyone, but trust me; there's a good chance you'll get sick of it.

Really though, working at a local shop or Best Buy isn't the whole PC Tech story. That's just retail and retail sucks a fat one until you get into the main office or HQ somewhere. I think the kind of job you'd like would be as a DST, or Desktop Support Technician. This is the kind of job where you'd work for a private company supporting PCs. This isn't to say that every DST position will have the same responsibilities though. At one company, you'll drive around the area fixing computers for customers. At another, you might be the errand boy for the Helpdesk or SysAdmins. A job as a DST will usually make more money that Geek Squad, but it largely depends on experience, education, and they might want some certs too. Most will require A+, even though it's incredibly basic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:13 pm 

If i get a computer science degree would it open up doors in the IT?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:13 pm 

Hows the money in computer security?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:31 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

the short answer to question 1, yes. However, there's more to it than that. A CompSci degree is good, but it's the general computer degree for IT jobs. You won't master networking, any program language, or any OS. You will be pretty handy with it all though. Most colleges offer a CompSci degree. Others will also offer other IT related degrees like Network Engineering, Systems Administration, Computer Security, etc.

As to your second question, google it, but my advice wouldn't be to pick a career based on it's average salary. I know we all want to make money, but figure out what you really want to do with computers and go from there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 4:35 am 
Professional Dork
Professional Dork

that Linux guy wrote:
A CompSci degree is good, but it's the general computer degree for IT jobs.

Depends. If you're more into programming, then CSci is a good general IT degree. As I noted above, an MIS degree is the other general degree for IT careers, and it focuses less on programming, and is more broadly based than CSci or Comp. Eng. In MIS, you look at Network management, security, programming, database administration. Any business school will have an MIS program.

UConn has what looks like a pretty good MIS program.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:56 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

DEA wrote:
that Linux guy wrote:
A CompSci degree is good, but it's the general computer degree for IT jobs.

Depends. If you're more into programming, then CSci is a good general IT degree. As I noted above, an MIS degree is the other general degree for IT careers, and it focuses less on programming, and is more broadly based than CSci or Comp. Eng. In MIS, you look at Network management, security, programming, database administration. Any business school will have an MIS program.

UConn has what looks like a pretty good MIS program.

I knew I was missing something. I was tired and half-asleep at work when I wrote that. Good call DEA.