Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:53 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

I will be honest... if languages like Python and PHP behaved more like C# and had the IDE tools to match the power of VS I would be less biased. But so far I haven't come across anything that makes my job of writing the code easier than VS has. Debugging especially.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:23 am 

I like C# (I just know it a little from the book "Head First C#") and I like the power to be able to drag and drop things that would take time to code much alone align hehe. I agree with you though. C# is one of the reasons I have a interest in VS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:24 pm 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

CrashTECH wrote:
If I had gone to school for 2-3 years, I could NOT have commanded such high compensation. I'd be lucky with $35k (Some of those that I graduated with are making low-mid $40's!).

I'm confused. You get the degree when you get the degree, right? If it takes you 6 or 3. If someone got their BS in 3 years, does that mean that they'd be making less than someone who earned the same degree from the same school in 4 or 5 years?

I know most students go full time for 3 of 4 semesters available, which means it takes 12 semesters total to get a BS in 4 years. I was hoping to bust balls and go for four semesters per year, thus hopefully getting my degree in 3 years. Aside the obvious risk of burning out, is this actually possible?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:39 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

2 year degrees (often called Associate degrees) are not equivalent to 3 year pass Bachelors or 4 year Honors Bachelor degrees.

They can all be done in more or less time .. the 2 / 3 / 4 year label is based on the number of years required to obtain the required credits if you follow the curriculum and take a full course load for 2 of 3 (or 3 of 4 in some places) semesters per year (most people take summers off to work or spend daddy's money).

The better the degree, the more doors open and the more money you'll find on the offer sheet.

It is definitely possible to work straight through your degree ... if you've got the money and the endurance. I've done it and I'm sure others have as well.

The hard part is money. I worked 30 hours a week in a coffee shop while taking a full course load for 11 months a year. The only thing that kept me sane were surf and climbing trips during the course breaks between semesters.

It wasn't fun, but I was able to get into the workforce earlier and, once you're in your late 20s, getting into the workforce ASAP becomes a priority.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:21 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

that Linux guy wrote:
CrashTECH wrote:
If I had gone to school for 2-3 years, I could NOT have commanded such high compensation. I'd be lucky with $35k (Some of those that I graduated with are making low-mid $40's!).

I'm confused. You get the degree when you get the degree, right? If it takes you 6 or 3. If someone got their BS in 3 years, does that mean that they'd be making less than someone who earned the same degree from the same school in 4 or 5 years?

I know most students go full time for 3 of 4 semesters available, which means it takes 12 semesters total to get a BS in 4 years. I was hoping to bust balls and go for four semesters per year, thus hopefully getting my degree in 3 years. Aside the obvious risk of burning out, is this actually possible?
I should have specified.

In my post, 2-3 = associates
and 4-5 = bachelors.

With changing majors, co-ops etc, Nobody (rarely) gets degrees currently in the "prescribed" time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:01 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

Jipstyle wrote:
It wasn't fun, but I was able to get into the workforce earlier and, once you're in your late 20s, getting into the workforce ASAP becomes a priority.

This is what I'm worried about. I won't be able to get financial aid until I'm 23, and I don't make enough money to start going to school right now. Even one class!

I was hoping that I wasn't going to have to wait until I was 27 at least before I earned my degree, so I could actually go about getting a real job. I definitely plan to work through my degree.

Thanks for info Jip and Crash. I appreciate it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:32 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

If it makes you feel better, I was in school from the age of 19 to 32 .. with a couple of breaks to make some money. I didn't get a 'real' job (one that pays more than $20/hr or 40k/yr.) until I was 33.

You're young ... you've got time. Don't forget to enjoy today while you are looking to tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:44 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

Jipstyle wrote:
If it makes you feel better, I was in school from the age of 19 to 32 .. with a couple of breaks to make some money. I didn't get a 'real' job (one that pays more than $20/hr or 40k/yr.) until I was 33.

You're young ... you've got time. Don't forget to enjoy today while you are looking to tomorrow.

Always the one with awesome, thought-provoking advice Jip.

Enjoying today are what a few good friends, a girlfriend, and COD4 are for, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:50 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

... and good BEER! :)

The weather should be warming up soon .. I'm looking forward to summer evenings on my balcony with good friends and good brew.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:26 pm 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

Jipstyle wrote:
... and good BEER! :)

The weather should be warming up soon .. I'm looking forward to summer evenings on my balcony with good friends and good brew.

I still haven't found a good beer to suit my tastes, mostly because I haven't bought any yet! :) I'll stick with my vodka with the Russian name, I can't pronounce. (It looks like Prypyacht Cpkrinic, but I'd look like an ass asking for it somewhere. Smirnoff Ice is much more universally known).

I hate Michigan summers. I'm from California, so my DNA was formed around dry heat. Michigan is like living inside a giant humidifier. You can only take off so many clothes before you try to get picked up my the same sex, or you get arrested for indecent exposure. This is why I've always liked Michigan winters.

Florida? A totally different story! Can't wait!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:21 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

i am currently taking the CCNA 3+4 this semester, and the online instructor says network security/forensics has decent pay. i don't plan to move on with/into networking, i am taking it so that i may be able to hold a decent conversation.

those tests are HARD. i am barely getting through these 2 sections. hopefully i get to move on to section 4, cause otherwise i have just lost one of my 2 jobs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:23 am 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

bingojubes wrote:
i am currently taking the CCNA 3+4 this semester, and the online instructor says network security/forensics has decent pay. i don't plan to move on with/into networking, i am taking it so that i may be able to hold a decent conversation.

those tests are HARD. i am barely getting through these 2 sections. hopefully i get to move on to section 4, cause otherwise i have just lost one of my 2 jobs.

You're taking the CCNA so you can talk Networking, but you don't want to go into the IT field?