Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Degrees vs. Certs
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:20 pm 

I'm sure I'm the first to ask this question: I'm thinking of changing careers and want to get into a network IT position. I currently work in another field and I never finished college back in the day (I'm painfully nearing 40), so I have the opportunity to go back for a computer degree or I can save myself a few years and go for certs and shoot for an entry-level position and work up from there. Honestly, I'm not looking to climb the corporate ladder, but simply earn a fair income and take pride in what I do. what's the better way to go?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:18 pm 
TravBv2.0
TravBv2.0

Truthfully, go for both.

Most employers want to see relevant work experience, and a degree. All of the higher-up positions seem to call for manditory experience, but you need experience to get the job... to get experience... It's a vicious circle.

A degree is the best way to go. Certs will help if you have little-to-no work experience. They will probably greatly help you in getting an entry-level job doing something like a jr programmer, jr administrator, HelpDesk, DST (Desktop Support Technician), and lastly, A PC repair tech (think Geek Squad).

What I can recommend to you is to start doing whatever it is you want to do for a job. You want to be a programmer? Start crankin' out some code. Wanna be a Network/Systems Administrator? Get an older computer and start learning to set up maintain a server or two. Couple this at-home, hands-on experience with a couple basic certs and some college experience, and you should be golden for an entry level tech job, pending you don't live in a severely economically depressed area. The larger cities will have more tech jobs than most towns. Tuscon, Jacksonville, Atlanta, Detroit, Bay Area, Portland, Dallas, Denver... get it?